Miaow, Purr, Yawn!

67 watchers
Jun 2014
5:31pm, 30 Jun 2014
1,967 posts
  •  
Winded
I've been told that Jeyes Fluid is a good cat deterrent. I don't know if it is true.

Cats tend to be creatures of habit; if you clear the old poo out of the flower bed & put some strong smell down (like Jeyes) it will freak them out a bit but I suspect the only real way to keep them away is for your cat to fight for some territory.
Jul 2014
9:14am, 1 Jul 2014
3,604 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
I don't have a cat. I don't want a cat. I don't want anyone else's cat in my garden.

I'd really appreciate a constructive answer from a responsible pet owner that won't cost me...
Jul 2014
5:22pm, 1 Jul 2014
1,464 posts
  •  
Cyclops
We don't have a constructive answer, Wine Legs. I have two cats and a dog - the dog is legally my responsibility and she only poos in certain places and we pick it up; the cats (my two and at least one in every other house whose gardens surround ours) do exactly what they please where they want and nobody, not even the law, can stop them. We move cat poo out of our flower beds that belongs to our cats and other peoples'. Ours have a litter tray but choose not to use it.
Jul 2014
9:39pm, 1 Jul 2014
66,388 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Wine legs I gave you two sensible suggestions... But you have come to a thread for cat lovers. We love our cats because they are free spirist... All you can do is try think like a cat and do what a cat woulod do to keep other cats out of their territory, hence why my suggestions are good... pee, poo... I think you can buy pheromone type products as well, to apply to your garden boundaries, as if another cat has rubbed their sent onto your fence posts, to mark its territory. Practically, if you mark your territory in a way a cat understands, they will keep away.
Jul 2014
8:24am, 2 Jul 2014
722 posts
  •  
RunnyBunny
Winelegs - my neighbours reckon orange peel does the job of keeping cats out of their gardens. I have 3 cats and would be more than happy to buy stuff for my neighbours to put my cats off going in their gardens. Bleach might work (this might be the Jeyes thing) as it puts dogs off: we used to sprinkle a bit at the bottom of our drive when we had a problem with dogs (not ours) going there to poop.
Jul 2014
9:13am, 2 Jul 2014
3,605 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
Thanks guys. Not quite sure what I am going to do. Perhaps I'll pop back with an update in a few months.
Jul 2014
9:18am, 2 Jul 2014
4,306 posts
  •  
Q Mac
I have a neighbour who is very precious about her garden - not the she bothers her arse and has a gardener to do any work involved. Always receiving text messages ''poo in planter, poo next to fence, poo in pot etc''. Had a conversation with the village vet who said he has at least 100 of our feline friends on their books and probably another 100 roaming free. Seems strange it's only mine that does all these poos! Sometime amazed at how some people have survived as long as they have. God forbid we have a chatastrophic event where people have to fend for themselves! Darwin had a few good ideas methinks. I do appreciate the fact that 'alien' poo in your garden is not nice and have actually spent literally hundreds of pounds on various anti-cat devices,sprays,powders etc. Unfortunately never found anything to work. Politely spray said miscreant with water a few times, hopefully they wll find alternative wc's!
Jul 2014
10:13am, 2 Jul 2014
66,396 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I used a super soaker myself in the past. I had a sunken Japanese garden (lots of gravel = ideal litter tray) and it quickly got so full of cat sh*t you could not sit outside enjoying it from the smell of giant litter tray. No access to lion dung, I tried, and as it was a sunken garden, hard to defend its boundaries from cats, so I decided to have some fun in deterring them in the porcess. On the days I was at home, I'd sit outside with the super soaker. As soon as a cat entered the garden, it would get sparyed. It was a handful of regulars doing their deed and they did get put off! Had to repeat the exercise every few months... Good target practice :)
Jul 2014
10:13am, 2 Jul 2014
66,397 posts
  •  
Hanneke
My own cat only uses her ltter tray by the way, she goes inside to pee and poo :) Just as well, as that way she doesn't do it in my own or my neighbours gardens :)
Jul 2014
10:15am, 2 Jul 2014
30,076 posts
  •  
Vélocipède Raptor
I have no idea which cat poo in my garden has been produced by my own cats (they don't go anywhere else now, they prefer to move as little as possible) and which has been produced by visiting cats, foxes or whatever.

About This Thread

Maintained by
A thread for those owned by cats, as we cannot possibly go onto the Bark and whine thread, its for d...