Miaow, Purr, Yawn!

2 lurkers | 67 watchers
Jun 2014
9:13pm, 8 Jun 2014
1,422 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Sainsburys pharmacy has the good stuff too.
Jun 2014
2:41am, 9 Jun 2014
3,689 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Oh yeah I used to have a cat flea gone years ago !!!

It was so easy edge the late daisy was a kitten being white and she loved me hunting for fleas

Funny flea story actually when we were kids we got a new kitten who was riddled so mum did a flea cull with comb and as she caught them popped them in a glass of water with a teeny drop of wash up liquid in (as it stops them climbing out) my brother didn't realise and drank the water. 10 fleas plus and all !!
Jun 2014
2:41am, 9 Jun 2014
3,690 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Oh yeah I used to have a cat flea gone years ago !!!

It was so easy edge the late daisy was a kitten being white and she loved me hunting for fleas

Funny flea story actually when we were kids we got a new kitten who was riddled so mum did a flea cull with comb and as she caught them popped them in a glass of water with a teeny drop of wash up liquid in (as it stops them climbing out) my brother didn't realise and drank the water. 10 fleas plus and all !!
Jun 2014
7:41pm, 10 Jun 2014
659 posts
  •  
Jubear
RMO3B my mum used to drop the caught fleas in her cold tea.... which sounds terrible nw I've writteen it down :-O no-one ever drank it though
Jun 2014
7:17pm, 14 Jun 2014
1,485 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
Just spent the day at Honley Agricultural Show. They had a whole tent full of mice in little boxes and a judging panel. It was nice to see so many mice alive and in one piece rather than several! *mouse*
Jun 2014
7:18pm, 14 Jun 2014
1,486 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
ooops must have been thinking of bunny
Jun 2014
7:27pm, 16 Jun 2014
9,077 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Anyone have any experience of hyperthyroidism in their cat?

I don't have a diagnosis yet, but many symptoms seem to fit. She is going for blood tests on Wednesday.

:(
Jun 2014
10:14pm, 16 Jun 2014
3,859 posts
  •  
CC2 Speedy Goth
Eloise had hyperthyroidism. She was on daily pills but she had to have an op to remove a tooth so the vet suggested we remove her thyroids at the same time, so she had them taken out in Jan 2013. Since then a whole host of other issues have become apparent, which I'm told is often the case. Hyperthyroidism masks kidney failure. So now she's on pills for that instead!
MH
Jun 2014
11:23pm, 16 Jun 2014
237 posts
  •  
MH
it can also be treated very successfully with radioactive iodine (although expensive). Our vet thought our previous cat had hyperthyroidism rather than diabetes, however after all the testing it turned out to be diabetes. Both are treatable, that's the main thing (our cat was insulin dependant with extremely difficult to control blood sugar - but went on with very good quality of life for 7 years more and died at 16).
Jun 2014
6:09pm, 18 Jun 2014
9,079 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Thanks for the info.

My cat has now been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.

I am going down the medication route, but with a transdermal gel rather than pills as it would be easier to give a pill to a sabre-tooth tiger than my cat!

Apparently thyroidectomies are not so common these days due to the advancement in medications for cats, and I think that the radioactive iodine treatment would be very stressful for her (and me!)

About This Thread

Maintained by
A thread for those owned by cats, as we cannot possibly go onto the Bark and whine thread, its for d...