•  
GimmeMedals
Annoying isn't it.
Mar 2021
12:12pm, 18 Mar 2021
17,661 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I need lessons from Rae in the art of selfie photos. She is the Queen! I had several goes at my favourite of the three new tops that have just arrived (cheapo vests from Start Fitness) but I can't do it!

Mar 2021
1:12pm, 18 Mar 2021
8,087 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I agree with you on the tops GM. I hover around the normal/overweight boundary (going by BMI) and have a pot belly. My weight has gone up and down over the years but I’ve always had a pot belly, so I want tops that are loose on the hips.

One of the best fitting brands for my shape is AWDis. They mostly sell tops to other companies to put their own branding on but you can get plain ones from eBay sellers. Fortunately my running club use them for club shirts.
Mar 2021
1:14pm, 18 Mar 2021
8,088 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
And they are nice and cheap :)
Mar 2021
1:29pm, 18 Mar 2021
7,454 posts
  •  
The Great Raemondo
Very kind of you to say, Sharks, but not sure this level of self absorption should be rewarded with a crown...

Rae's no. 1 not terribly regal seflie tip: use the timer!

This is mostly inspired by necessity, as I have quite small hands and phones keep getting bigger, plus I keep mine in a wallet/book style case to protect the screen and give me somewhere to keep cards and paper money, which makes it even more difficult to hold in one hand and still be able to press the appropriate button/part of the screen. But because it also makes the process less spontaneous it does provide an opportunity to plan bit more in terms of angles and lighting and suchlike.

Usually I have a 3 second timer, I hold the phone up to pose/frame and check lighting conditions, then move to again to start the camera with the other hand and have enough time to get it back in position before it takes the picture.

Being an averagely vain Gen Y type I do, of course, go for holding phone higher and looking up, as it makes your eyes look bigger and face slimmer, and off to one side rather than straight on as it then also disguises bingo wings. I am aware that I have developed a completely uneven smirk which only works from this up and to the side angle and looks thoroughly bizarre level and head on.

When I'm trying to take a pic of the leggings or outfit rather than mah face I go for the 10 second timer, as I also then put the phone on the coffee table/weight bench/ whatever rather than holding it so I can get further away, but it's the same process of posing and framing first, pressing the button, the resuming the position before it takes the pic. It's no coincidence that I also usually cut off my own head in 'full length' pics because the lower angle does the opposite of the higher one and rather than being all eyes and cheekbones you get all chins and nostrils.

Yes, I have definitely over thought all of this.
Mar 2021
1:34pm, 18 Mar 2021
51,935 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Just as well I'm not precious about my unicorns. My Flanci Trailblazers, the pair I shortened to fit me, got a mild hammering on some thorns and barbed wire this morning. I was secretly quite glad I'd worn unicorns with a bit of wear on them rather than a new pair.
Mar 2021
1:47pm, 18 Mar 2021
8,089 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I’d be mortified if any of my pretties got damaged! I’ve hung onto a few plain black pairs for just for orienteering, where encounters with brambles are pretty much guaranteed.
Mar 2021
1:55pm, 18 Mar 2021
17,662 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Very useful Rae, thank you! I kept getting lots of misshapen arm - and completely forgot about the timer option. Providing my fairly basic iPhone has one of course *nips off to check*

...of course it's got a timer, you fool!

can art direct an entire photo shoot with stylist, models, home economists etc etc but can't take selfie.
Mar 2021
1:57pm, 18 Mar 2021
71,525 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I can't take a selfie Sharkie, and I used to be a pro photographer 😱

Hence the lame photos of kit on random bits of furniture...
Mar 2021
2:03pm, 18 Mar 2021
17,663 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Glad to hear it's not just me.

Would help if I Tidied My Room, of course.

About This Thread

Maintained by GimmeMedals
The Newt threat has been taken over by chat about Flanci skorts, capris, shorts, leggings and bargai...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.