•  
mulbs
Bless Mushroom's granny!
Feb 2023
5:26pm, 16 Feb 2023
9,505 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I probably don’t get my keys ready for the door that far in advance of arriving home but I am always ready at least twenty minutes before I need to leave home for anything preplanned.
I’ve also been known (frequently) to park up in a lay-by or somewhere convenient for a while so that I don’t arrive inconsiderately early when driving to see a friend or relative.
Feb 2023
6:18pm, 16 Feb 2023
41,458 posts
  •  
Night-owl
It depends
If I have at least a hand free or can hold Aby bags in one hand. Literally 20 seconds from the main entrance.
Fob first to get into block of flats

Sometimes may have both hands full so I wait till at main entrance put bags down and get key out
Feb 2023
7:57am, 19 Feb 2023
24,441 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
House key out of my pocket when walking when I get onto our road. It would be plenty soon enough if I waited until I reached our driveway.
When I’m a passenger, I put the key in my hand when we get to our village, but it’s usually been on the dashboard in full view, all journey.
Feb 2023
8:20am, 20 Feb 2023
45,602 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Probably one of two types of people this. I definitely do that, in every single way i can think of. Always thinking ahead and see what i can prepare or complete. And the there an other kind of people, that does the exact opposite. Always wait until they really have to do something, to be able to take the next step. (i mean, maybe one don't have to do it, if one waits long enough) These two kinds of people doesn't play together very well

That's me and my wife though! I like to think of it as opposites attract, complementary skills etc?

(I'm the relatively organised, think ahead, usually have the right thing selected, to hand, prepared, whereas my lovely missus...?!) :-) G
Feb 2023
8:21am, 20 Feb 2023
45,603 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Is another trait to tap all the appropriate pockets for keys, phone, wallet etc. several times leaving, coming back, while walking, when in or out of a shop / cafe etc? (I won't say OCD as I suspect that has a proper scientific or clinical definition?) :-) G
Feb 2023
9:36am, 20 Feb 2023
14,376 posts
  •  
mulbs
I do check the patio doors are locked every time I go past them, and then again before bed. And I like to give a tap to my bag/phone/pocket occasionally when out just to check everything is still there. Night before a race I get everything arranged in the order I'll put it on (in case I forget how to get dressed lol). All of which I consider perfectly reasonable behaviour by the way.
Feb 2023
7:33pm, 20 Feb 2023
17,453 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
Is another trait to tap all the appropriate pockets for keys, phone, wallet etc. several times leaving, coming back, while walking, when in or out of a shop / cafe etc? (I won't say OCD as I suspect that has a proper scientific or clinical definition?) G

I have sone fairly pronounced OC traits, but yes to patting certain pockets for all vital objects (phone, work phone, keys, wallet). Usually about 5 times before I actually leave the house.
Feb 2023
7:50pm, 20 Feb 2023
58,463 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I’m very keen on checking what I call the holy trinity (phone, wallet, keys) before leaving the house
Feb 2023
1:32pm, 21 Feb 2023
76,700 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I used to do this when going to the loo at one particular place of work, I'd start unzipping before I'd entered the facilities. I never went any further, fortunately, as the loos were directly opposite reception behind some glass doors.

About This Thread

Maintained by mulbs
When out for a walk from home and I turn onto my road on the homeward leg, I get my keys out of my pocket with the right key selected when still 1/10th of a mile from my door. Every time.

Your turn.