FOOTBALL

3 lurkers | 161 watchers
Nov 2021
10:40pm, 15 Nov 2021
24,243 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
When there was common sense applied everyone bellyached about the need for ‘consistency’ and ‘clarity’.
Nov 2021
10:54pm, 15 Nov 2021
64,355 posts
  •  
Diogenes
That is one contradiction I always railed against. You need both 😂
Nov 2021
10:55pm, 15 Nov 2021
64,356 posts
  •  
Diogenes
(That’s a crying laughing emoji in case it doesn’t render as such on your device)
Nov 2021
9:12am, 16 Nov 2021
24,244 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
Don’t you be having a sense of humour on a football thread. Football supporters are supposed to be perpetually furious and angry at everything to do with the game….. 😉
Nov 2021
9:21am, 16 Nov 2021
52,710 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Furious and angry and fickle
Nov 2021
10:36am, 16 Nov 2021
32,369 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Furious and angry and fickle and quite often don't know the rules
Nov 2021
10:49am, 16 Nov 2021
3,823 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
*laws* ;-)
Nov 2021
11:19am, 16 Nov 2021
7,561 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
When I was a referee, you would not believe the times that players and club officials tried to tell you what you can and can't do. That extended from what happened on the pitch and off it.

Clubs tried to tell me that I did not have to submit reports for cautions and dismissals when it is compulsory. When they turned up late and wanted me to delay the kick-off, they were surprised when I told them that it was OK but that I would be reporting it. If no-one was prepared to run the line, then that went against them too as well as substandard match balls. The balls must be presented to the referee in good time before the game and not moments before kick-off. The list goes on.
Nov 2021
11:45am, 16 Nov 2021
3,825 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
Agree, SP. I used to have a discussion with a team beforehand, usually along the lines of - if you only make 3 or 4 mistakes in today's game, you'll probably think you have had a decent game; if I make the same number, you'll be thinking I have had a shocker...

If you slice the ball out of play and curse, I can probably live with it. If you swear at me or another player, you give me the choice to send you off. Don't give me the choice as you probably won't like it. Or be able to afford the fine. Or enjoy the ban.
Nov 2021
11:59am, 16 Nov 2021
3,653 posts
  •  
gcwenn
I was an active ref for 18 months. The final straw was a game/fight where I sent two off and booked 2 others. After the game a manager approached me and said he will send the players over to apologise and that will save me the paperwork. I looked at him and said "they have just spent 90 minutes kicking 10 bells out of each other, if you walk away now you will save a 5th bit of paperwork"
I told the Cornish FA (where I lived at the time) that I was done.
About 3 weeks later I got a call from the same manager asking me to referee his game that weekend. He was not impressed with the "straight forward" reply!

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Ah, the beautiful game, remember that? Let's put down some jumpers and have a socially-distanced kickabout. Long shots only, and no hugging and kissing.