FOOTBALL

161 watchers
Nov 2021
7:29pm, 16 Nov 2021
2,018 posts
  •  
stuart little
In Europe at least, why not 2 stages to qualifying - automatic entry to second stage on Fifa ranking, and guaranteed if qualified for the Euro champs.

First stage/ prequalifying held at the same time as the Euros for everyone else with (say) 8 spots up for grabs in Rd 2
Nov 2021
8:29pm, 16 Nov 2021
7,298 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
There has got to be a better way.

What did England gain by beating San Marino 10-0?

What did San Marino gain by getting beat 10-0 by England?

It wasn't only skill it was pure fitness. It was a mismatch like me 'racing' Mo over 5km. I'd take twice as long.

I think there has to be some grading/qualifiers.
Nov 2021
8:40pm, 16 Nov 2021
7,563 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
When I was younger, the whipping boys were Malta, Cyprus and Turkey. The latter finished third in 2002 and have really improved whereas the other two have not done so.

Having two qualifying rounds for weaker nations could be implemented based on their FIFA world ranking or a Nations League incentive to gain a bye into the second phase.

Also, why is Kazakhstan a UEFA member when it is smack in the middle of Asia?
Nov 2021
8:47pm, 16 Nov 2021
39,106 posts
  •  
Nellers
2 sides to the story I guess.

From a footballing point of view a lower tier qualifying competition would give the San Marinos and Andorras a run of competitive games against each other where they might get more than 10% possession and have an aim beyond trying to keep the score down. Qualifiers could then go into the main qualifying groups against the stronger teams.

On the other hand I'd bet that a big part of the revenue for Andorra's FA comes from the gate/ TV money when they play a "big" team like France, Spain, Germany or England, and removing them from the qualifying groups robs them of those glamourous ties.

The only way I could see it working would be if UEFA financed the lower tier FAs with levies from the big rich nations. Can we see any member nations voting for that?
Nov 2021
9:59pm, 16 Nov 2021
7,299 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
#bluearmy A massive win away at Oldham see's the mighty Town in Round Two of the FA Cup. Rewarded with a home tie against Barrow.
Nov 2021
10:09pm, 16 Nov 2021
15,060 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Asia, Africa and Conacaf (North/Central America) all have multiple stages of world cup qualifying, with the lower ranking teams playing off in the first round and then joining the higher ranked teams in later rounds. They obviously have far fewer places in the finals than Europe though.
Nov 2021
5:43am, 17 Nov 2021
7,301 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Has the FA Cup got it spot on? Less skilled teams are introduced at several layers to mean there isn't a total mismatch of Ely City versus Manchester United?
Nov 2021
6:58am, 17 Nov 2021
4,515 posts
  •  
trumpton riots
That's not a mismatch, FR.....
Nov 2021
7:36am, 17 Nov 2021
3,828 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
Can anyone explain the European qualifying spots left? It seems there are 10 teams for 3 places... a semi-final takes that to 5 teams, then a final leaves 2 remainder one... what am I missing?
Nov 2021
7:50am, 17 Nov 2021
734 posts
  •  
The Mussile
OtG - you are missing the Nations league play-off qualifiers who haven't already qualified.

That takes it to 12 teams. IIUIC They are split into 3 groups of 4 played as a mini knockout tournament with each group winner proceeding to the final.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Ah, the beautiful game, remember that? Let's put down some jumpers and have a socially-distanced kickabout. Long shots only, and no hugging and kissing.