FE Lake District Lovers

94 watchers
Sep 2021
3:17pm, 6 Sep 2021
51,630 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
You’re right NE. Stef and I were discussing the route very recently. ‘The Eagle’s Leap’ or something. I’m not sure if we didn’t end up drinking tea in Tom’s van afterwards :-) Knowing me I came down Doddick and met you at the bottom ;-)
Sep 2021
3:33pm, 6 Sep 2021
7,919 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
That's right, you came down Doddick and we met at the bottom. The "Eagles" descent was something the Dallam guys did, basically it was a combination of the Parachute and a conventional Hall's Fell descent. You dropped off the summit to the W then having descended to a given point, traversed across and rejoined the main Halls ridge. I have no idea if this is still done, maybe it's a club-specific thing nowadays.
Sep 2021
3:47pm, 6 Sep 2021
1,786 posts
  •  
Totriornottotri
Although I have 20 tabs open looking a packrafting...
Sep 2021
4:28pm, 6 Sep 2021
51,632 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I remember getting really cold in Tom’s van in spite of drinking tea and it being dry. A good example of the potential danger of hypothermia
Sep 2021
4:48pm, 6 Sep 2021
2,846 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
NE that's my descent route off Halls. I went up that way as well on my round back in 2009. I didn't know Tom used it or there was a Dallaglio name for it.

It's pretty quick and unexposed but does rely a bit on hitting the right line across through the little crags and the odd patch of scree. You rejoin the ridge where there is a 'notch'. Having played around on the parachute recently I think for me that is the fastest route down and it works in the wet or wind.
Sep 2021
4:49pm, 6 Sep 2021
2,847 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Bloody auto correct! Dallaglio = Dallam
Sep 2021
5:10pm, 6 Sep 2021
7,920 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I knew what you meant :-) I don't think Tom actually does use it, his version of the Parachute has you running W along the summit ridge and then dropping down the eastern flank of Middle Tongue until you intersect Gate Gill and then it's the Parachute per Yannis's established line. I went this way on my first BGR attempt and spent on good deal of it sliding down the fell on my backside :-) It was this line we were recceing the day I was out on leg 1 with DT.
Sep 2021
5:15pm, 6 Sep 2021
51,633 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I always say leg 4 is the best leg of the BG, but 1 is great if you’re fit. Blencathra is a fantastic mountain and it’s one thing climbing Skiddaw but another descending then crossing the valley to climb Clough Head
Sep 2021
7:28pm, 6 Sep 2021
2,849 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
NE I've checked out that version of the Parachute and tbh I'm not sure I see the point? To me it's too far round, certainly when compared to that "Eagles" descent and not any quicker underfoot? In fact when you get down into the stream the trod is now rather knackered in places and you really have to watch your footing.
Sep 2021
7:40pm, 6 Sep 2021
7,921 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Completely agree, it's actually a bit of run to the entry point and I never really got the idea of it. Hard to argue with a man of Tom's experience and he must have had his reasons, but I never did it again after my unsuccessful 1st attempt. The best ever descent I made of Blencathra was on a lovely, dry and still summer's evening - straight down Hall's on the ridge with a guy who really knew the line, it didn't feel dodgy but I guess it must have been a bit exposed at points.

Just occurred to me that this discussion really belongs on the Bob Graham thread. Apologies to everyone :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
Somewhere you can confidently ask "which is the best chip shop in Keswick?" and expect an intelligent reply.

Lots of experience and good advice available here, from which B & B or YHA to the best fell for Grandma to climb :-)

Wainwrights Progress
Phal: 108/214
R4R: 126/214
Velociraptor: 86/214
Flanker: 76/214
Dave A: 86/214
_andy: 64/214
Snoot: 93/214
Lottie: 51/214
Stan: 49/214
um: 61/214
Rosehip: 46/214
HellsBells: 24/214
BaronessBL: 17/214
Homer: 138/214
OverTheHillToo: 48/214 (2nd)
Northern Exile: 141/214 (3rd)
Jaks: 10/214
Synge 18/214 (2nd/V60)

Wainwrights Completers
Gromit
Flying Finn
SimonF
Synge
Northern Exile x 2
OverTheHillToo
runnyeyes
Chrisity
JenHB

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.