EU Referendum - In or Out? Vote here

1 lurker | 70 watchers
Feb 2016
8:17pm, 26 Feb 2016
446 posts
  •  
timaru
And mean while here in New Zealand we have just singed up to the TPP or Trans Pacific Partnership which echoes of the old EEC. So as the UK votes wether to stay in.... we are just going in.
Feb 2016
11:51am, 27 Feb 2016
1,599 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
I actually believe there will be an out vote. Some people do seem to have a coherent argument based on the facts, as they see, them for leaving. However the vast majority will, as TMW says make a decision based on things like how long they have to wait at passport control.

There's a significant school of thought, largely fed by years of misinformation in the press, that anything bad that ever happens in this country is the result of some wicked Brussels plot. Stories about EU rulings on straight bananas in supermarkets and children not being allowed to play conkers and the like are legion. The actual truth is that most of the stupid stuff that happens here is self generated. The EU has actually adopted some of our home grown Healthy and Safety legislation not the other way round (Not that H&S legislation is a "bad" thing, just that some employers moan about EU red tape and point to it as an example).

The post Dowton generation - as I like to call them- really believe that an out vote will mean a return to the halcyon days of ten shilling notes and half crowns, petrol by the gallon, cheery bus conductors , button A and button B and white dog shit in the gutter.

Yep - it'll definitely be out. You heard it here first......
Feb 2016
12:01pm, 27 Feb 2016
5,614 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I was talking to a mate who genuinely doesn't know which way to vote. He's been a UK expat for 6 years and has just got back from China. His only concern is if it will make it easier for his non-EU partner to settle in the UK.
Feb 2016
1:31pm, 27 Feb 2016
1,137 posts
  •  
JRitchie
Disappointing to see that the early doors exchanges on Europe seem to be going the same was as Scottish Indy. Ins talking about risk of change without even engaging on the real benefits of continued membership and the outs getting nationalistic and taking a narrow view by playing on stereotyes and look at how green that grass over the fence seems to be. Hope it improves, but I doubt it.

One sub-point. We have enjoyed "relative" peace in Western Europe since WW11. Lots of factors contribute but the presence and breadth of EU must surely count as a contributory positive element to where we are (I'm not saying EU is perfect but I'm saying peace has been better because of it).
Feb 2016
1:45pm, 27 Feb 2016
1,600 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
I doubt that there will be mass repatriation of EU citizens resident here. The existing system can barely cope now, so it would need draconian new measures which even Farage has publicly distanced himself from. He may have sung SS songs in his youth (allegedly) but even he understands the unfortunate historical connections that would be made if we attempted to deport 5 million otherwise innocent men women and children.

What will probably happen is that the atmosphere will become so poisonous towards anyone from the EU that those who can will leave anyway whatever the outcome.

As for Boris well of course he's taking a huge punt at becoming PM on the basis of Cameron not having a particularly good hand to play (again allegedly). Who can blame him? After all what's the worse that can happen? He loses - gets all magnanimous about it and gets shipped off to Brussels a la Kinnock.
Feb 2016
2:29pm, 27 Feb 2016
5,615 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
If we still had it, he would be sent to Hong Kong a la Patten
Feb 2016
3:46pm, 27 Feb 2016
8,522 posts
  •  
Chrisull
It won't need ANY mass repatriation - it will happen by default, unless the law is changed, that is the gist of the legal analysis.
Feb 2016
4:03pm, 27 Feb 2016
1,601 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
You seriously think people will just up and leave after living here for years. I wouldn't, Boris could go fuck himself and send the troops to fetch me.
Feb 2016
4:35pm, 27 Feb 2016
8,525 posts
  •  
Chrisull
No they will be deported.
Feb 2016
6:10pm, 27 Feb 2016
6,654 posts
  •  
Duchess
Britain can't manage to deport identified illegal immigrants with any success. There is no way the country would even try to forcibly deport 2.4m EU citizens here, particularly the ones paying taxes and "contributing". Anyone resident for five years and working/job-seeking has a right to apply for permanent residency.

Whether the EU citizens here would want to stay is a different matter. If they lose access to reciprocal healthcare, social benefits, visa free travel, etc, maybe not. If they feel that "their type" are not welcome, maybe not. But if they see this as "home" why would they want to leave?

But as an Englishwoman living in Edinburgh, I assure you they're thinking about it

About This Thread

Maintained by CStar
Time to cast your vote for Fetchland to be part of the EU or to pull up the drawbridge and simply do...