Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
jda
7 Apr
1:09pm, 7 Apr 2024
16,801 posts
  •  
jda
A common pathway seems to be a hospital stay (for whatever reason) followed by basically forced discharge to a care home. I'm not so sure that a GP would drag someone out of their home.

What happens if you aren't there 24/7 to pick her up every time she falls? I wonder if she might be capable of learning, given sufficient motivation.
7 Apr
10:10pm, 7 Apr 2024
2,353 posts
  •  
Heinzster
Thanks, all. The social work team are very keen to get her into a nursing home. The care home couldn't really manage her as she is incredibly stubborn, insistent on her 'rights', which include going downstairs with her zimmer 😳 etc. Currently her children feel too guilty to put her in against her will, but the overall feeling is changing.
JDA, in terms of learning, absolutely not. She has fallen multiple times and still insists she isn't going to use her rollator if she doesn't feel like it.
7 Apr
10:11pm, 7 Apr 2024
2,354 posts
  •  
Heinzster
My BIL has POA for them both.
8 Apr
1:09pm, 8 Apr 2024
3,961 posts
  •  
decorum
Been a while!

Hugs to all, remember to be kind to yourselves!

Aged Parent is, well, Aged Parent ... and ever more so [zero help when herself was in hospital for a fortnight ... but did keep asking when I was going to resume the supply of his hot evening meals ~ he felt that I could have split my time between hospital and home much better! 😉 ]
3M
8 Apr
3:13pm, 8 Apr 2024
23,771 posts
  •  
3M
Hope you're on the up now, decorum. AP sounds like a bundle of laughs still!

Very minor gripe - aged parent in law rung yesterday afternoon literally 5 minutes after we walked back through the door after a few days away. (Mrs3M had spoken to himon the Friday evening.) Nothing wrong (but you daren't not answer the phone when you see who's calling, because, well, because!) Nothing wrong. He just wanted to let us know he'd walked into town and that the weather wasn't very nice. Hmm.
9 Apr
4:09pm, 9 Apr 2024
75,081 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Hopefully dad’s house will be on the market this time next week. Fingers crossed for a quick sale. Will take a trip down in June ( if not needed before ) to get it emptied.
9 Apr
4:15pm, 9 Apr 2024
7,063 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
As ever your tolerance and commitment to keeping him at home amazes me decorum.

Hope it sells quickly LG.
10 Apr
10:15am, 10 Apr 2024
1,386 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
Mother-in-law's funeral yesterday. The crematorium in Barrow-in-Furness is on top of a hill with far-reaching views out to sea. Yesterday the rain was horizontal, the views pretty much non-existent and there was no loitering between cars and buildings for fear of being blown away and soaked! The service went well and I think she would have been amused by the weather! Onwards and upwards ...
10 Apr
2:57pm, 10 Apr 2024
75,088 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Glad it went well. Shame about the weather
10 Apr
3:43pm, 10 Apr 2024
18,719 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Gald it all went well apart from the weather

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.