Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
2 Apr
11:23am, 2 Apr 2024
944 posts
  •  
Qwerty
Thank you all 😊

Looking at the online process, I will give it a go. It's basically needed as mum had a small savings account and premium bonds in her own name which will need to be formally transferred to dad. There aren't any shares or other investment products to worry about, so hopefully it should be straightforward 🤞
2 Apr
11:29am, 2 Apr 2024
85,301 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I did probate when my Father-in-Law died and also when my mum died. it was all very straightforward and quick. The estate agent selling her house said they'd never known probate to come through so quickly. Unless you have a complex and complicates set of assets to account for, I don't think there is any need to engage a professional.

Like the LPA process, the gov.uk website is very good and easy to use.
2 Apr
12:46pm, 2 Apr 2024
74,973 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
We have gone down the route of legal help as goodness knows where dad had things .
CK2
2 Apr
1:05pm, 2 Apr 2024
2,686 posts
  •  
CK2
We were advised to apply for probate when my dad died. Like others, mum and I did it online through the government site. Cumbersome but ok.
2 Apr
1:34pm, 2 Apr 2024
17,944 posts
  •  
Dave W
And we had to apply for probate when my mum passed away even though my dad is still alive.
2 Apr
4:59pm, 2 Apr 2024
18,675 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
We also did mum's probate on line as it was a simple to sort situation .

Jen's has been passed to solicitors as she had investments, pensions etc and a trust has been sent up going forwarding for inheritance tax reasons
jda
4 Apr
2:14pm, 4 Apr 2024
16,782 posts
  •  
jda
Are all lawyers utterly useless?

Phoned up FiL's (presumed) lawyer, to check for title deeds to property. They confirmed he was their client and they held a recent will but claimed to have no record of the title deeds.

Among the mountain of paperwork we are sifting through, we found a copy of a letter he sent them dated 2007: "I am aware that the title deeds are stored at [your premises] for safe keeping".

My parents' lawyers also denied knowledge of title deeds a few years back, until they were shown a similar letter, at which point they were miraculously found.

(Previous purchase long predates the electronic system and was never transferred, indeed discussion of this was the point of the correspondence.)
4 Apr
7:18pm, 4 Apr 2024
67,443 posts
  •  
LindsD
Oh God that's awful
jda
4 Apr
8:05pm, 4 Apr 2024
16,786 posts
  •  
jda
They miraculously found the deeds this afternoon within 10 mins of me reading out the letter that FiL had sent to them. It is obvious with hindsight that the person who spoke to me the first time just hadn't bothered looking properly (and IIRC this closely matches my parents' experience a few years back).

Still, at least the deeds are found, so that's one job ticked off. And two estate agents have confirmed our own hypothesis that the property is a wreck and best disposed of ASAP, probably for somewhat less than a bare plot would be worth. We are slightly relieved that it has positive value at all, and therefore shouldn't be an albatross around our necks in perpetuity.

Meanwhile, I am flabbergasted at the level of care FiL's getting from the care home and local GP who visits on a weekly basis. She spent about half an hour with us today (unbooked, we just bumped into her) discussing various aspects of his situation and plans for improving it (within realistic limits). Then tried to apologise for taking so much of our time!
4 Apr
8:20pm, 4 Apr 2024
67,447 posts
  •  
LindsD
That sounds positive jda

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.