Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
jda
29 Mar
8:44am, 29 Mar 2024
16,765 posts
  •  
jda
Is she visiting literally every day? My mum did that for my dad when he went into the care home but it was only a 10 min walk and of course you could see that it wasn't going to be indefinite (lasted about 18 months). It wasn't all bad, got her out the house and gave her some exercise, but made life a bit complicated.

FiL was always a bit of a loner and a weekly coffee-time visit seems to be working well.
29 Mar
9:00am, 29 Mar 2024
7,044 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
But Mrs Axe works and has her own family to look after too. It's not the same.
29 Mar
9:07am, 29 Mar 2024
26,499 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
No jda. We go in Saturday and Sunday. The working week doesn’t really allow any more than that. It does mean our weekends are based around those two visits and we don’t really have time to do things.

Today we are going for lunch at a place that’s only a five min walk from her so easy to pop in.
29 Mar
9:10am, 29 Mar 2024
74,920 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
That must be hard for Mrs Axe to hear but you also know it’s mum being manipulative and there are things she could be doing to help herself :-(
2 Apr
8:15am, 2 Apr 2024
943 posts
  •  
Qwerty
I wondered whether anyone here has undertaken a probate application? My dad has survived my mum and still lives in their home, and so far as I've been able to ascertain, there's no will, but the estate is not of massive value or complexity. My husband says trying to get probate is horrendous (though I don't ever remember him doing this!) - are probate practitioners worth it?

Thanks in advance 🤞
2 Apr
8:47am, 2 Apr 2024
4,510 posts
  •  
jabberknit
My Mum died in February, and so far, I haven't had to apply for probate. Mind you, her estate hasn't been complicated or large, and she was a widow so it's mainly been just a few savings accounts. Lloyds, Nationwide and the Prudential haven't required probate, and now just waiting to see if the Skipton Building Society is going to be the exception.

A friend whose Mum died last year said they applied for probate online through the government's service and found it quite straightforward and everything was explained clearly. It just took quite a long time.
2 Apr
9:02am, 2 Apr 2024
67,432 posts
  •  
LindsD
I did Dad's probate and it was time-consuming but fine. I know that others here have done it more recently and I think it's easier now. We did have a will though. I wouldn't pay someone to do it but I guess it depends on your level of comfort w that sort of thing.
2 Apr
9:11am, 2 Apr 2024
29,489 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Took mrS forever but i dont think delegating it would have made it any easier. Theres just arcane processes which can get jammed while paper is shuffled from one place to another. The fact its all online appears to make no difference
2 Apr
9:14am, 2 Apr 2024
74,971 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
My dad died last Aug and we had to apply for probate. If no idea how far down the line we are as my sister is dealing with it. We have a valuation on the property so hopefully we can get it on the market soon.
2 Apr
9:25am, 2 Apr 2024
53,928 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Don't know if I'm misunderstanding the situation, Qwerty but if your Dad is still alive, you don't need to apply for probate. All your Mum's assets automatically transfer to him. When he eventually dies if there's no will, you'll need to apply then.

That was the situation for me, when my Mum died. I was quoted hundreds of pounds for other agencies to do it, but frankly there wasn't much to do and just I ended up doing it myself.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.