Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
12 Apr
10:18am, 12 Apr 2024
7,071 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
It's so difficult to know if you're doing the right thing at any given time Baz but you have to look after yourselves as best you can. It really does sound as though MiL would be better in a home.

That makes it worse Heinzster.
12 Apr
10:41am, 12 Apr 2024
26,570 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I maybe spoke too soon, carers have reported MiL is not great today. They will keep Mrs Axe updated as they visit over the course of the day.

We might bring forward tomorrow's shopping and visit to tonight, but hopefully that keeps Saturday free for us before we go back on Sunday

You are right about a care home LMH, but this is a decision she needs to make herself as no one is prepared to do it for her.
jda
12 Apr
10:42am, 12 Apr 2024
16,830 posts
  •  
jda
FiL was still in bed when we visited yesterday. Previously he's always been up in the lounge by mid-morning but it seems he often prefers to snooze a bit longer, after having breakfast in bed, and gets up more regularly for the afternoon and into the evening when the lounge is quieter. He's always been a night owl even from years ago, so seems quite happy with the arrangements.

Meanwhile we are possibly celebrating our last significant visit to his house, we've collected a few car-loads of paperwork - most of which is complete drivel like every appointment letter and receipt from dentist visits dating back decades (including those of his long-dead wife), but some of which has useful financial info - and the salvageable crockery which is just about all we might conceivably want. It's really unpleasant in there now with the wet and mould.

Brother-in-law is visiting over the weekend so we just need to make sure he's on the same page regarding disposing of the house, and anything he wants personally of course.
12 Apr
11:20am, 12 Apr 2024
75,121 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
We are hoping when we go down in June it will be clear the house for the last time. Never really had any attachment to it or any of dad’s stuff as we wasn’t really around for us from when I four. Still sad to see it looking a bit neglected now.
12 Apr
3:58pm, 12 Apr 2024
1,387 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
My problem is that Mr SD wants to keep so much from his parents' home, including some dreadful ornaments that are now on our mantelpiece 🤦‍♀️ I feel torn as I can understand why they might mean a lot to him, but I don't want our house to become like his parents 😢 To me it's just 'stuff' ...
12 Apr
4:12pm, 12 Apr 2024
7,072 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I'm with you on the stuff front stilldreaming. I have very little in the way of what I call 'dust collectors'.
12 Apr
4:45pm, 12 Apr 2024
7,408 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Mum had left a list of the relatives and friends that should receive 8 framed cross-stitch pictures that she'd made over the years. I spent part of the wake on Wednesday sidling up to unsuspecting relatives to hand these out. Everyone seemed genuinely pleased, and of course the fact that mum had particularly thought of them would mean a lot, but I was wondering how many were internally saying "oh good grief, what am I going to do with this?" ;)
12 Apr
8:05pm, 12 Apr 2024
2,220 posts
  •  
poppyH
😆 TR
We inherited a picture that was specifically marked for us from OH's granny. It was awful, and looked like it was finger painted by a chimpanzee. Stayed in the loft for a couple of years until I convinced OH to charity shop it.
12 Apr
8:06pm, 12 Apr 2024
2,221 posts
  •  
poppyH
I'm sure the cross stitches were much more attractive.
jda
12 Apr
8:16pm, 12 Apr 2024
16,835 posts
  •  
jda
The worst FiL has done in his will is to request that his stamp collection remains in the family and intact in its entirety. It runs to a fairly sizeable box full of albums etc.

It's only a request and can be ignored, but we are strongly considering disposing of it asap in order that it no longer exists by the time the will is read :-)

"Oops what a shame we sold that when we emptied the house, if only we'd realised."

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.