Coronavirus discussion thread

2 lurkers | 136 watchers
Jul 2021
9:59am, 21 Jul 2021
20,466 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
The service from GPs seems to be variable and has been for a long time. Our local surgery are great and we can get an appt quite easily. Mrs Axe has used them about 3 times during lockdown and all been great.

MiL used to have real issues in a different surgery about 3 miles away, but she refused to move as she had seen the same GP for years. Said GP retired and at the same time MiL needed more attention and is largely housebound. We have since had absolutely fab responses from the GP and they often do a home visit on the day we phone or provide good support by phone, including during Covid.

I know we are lucky though.
Jul 2021
10:01am, 21 Jul 2021
26,675 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
we have had no issues at all

but mother has for years
but then she was calling a couple of times a month when dad was ill

her medical history is very long too

in this heat I am genuinely surprised she hasn't passed out due to her heart (which is a big worry)
Jul 2021
1:07pm, 21 Jul 2021
1,991 posts
  •  
Roberto
EP, I think I will cry if that happens (depending on what restrictions). Only 4.5 weeks away from our wedding which is the closest we have made it to any of the 3 dates we gave had so far.
Jul 2021
1:07pm, 21 Jul 2021
1,992 posts
  •  
Roberto
(That was in response to your comment about restrictions coming back in 3 weeks)
Jul 2021
2:06pm, 21 Jul 2021
8,213 posts
  •  
CStar
Our surgery triages via phone or video appt and then you get invited in if the Dr thinks it's necessary. Keeps the bug-ridden away from the surgery, prioritises those who need it and allows far more calls/treatment. Way more efficient and actually easier to get to talk to someone than before.

I know it's change and the old folk don't like it, but if some of them had their way, we'd still be using leeches ;-)
Jul 2021
2:08pm, 21 Jul 2021
26,692 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
roberto I can imagine
Jul 2021
2:09pm, 21 Jul 2021
8,214 posts
  •  
CStar
Interesting article about our tolerance levels to Covid related death numbers going forward vs our acceptance of annual Flu-related deaths.

thetimes.co.uk
Jul 2021
2:09pm, 21 Jul 2021
39,264 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Fingers crossed for you Roberto. :-) G
Jul 2021
2:33pm, 21 Jul 2021
8,085 posts
  •  
sallykate
Any chance of a TL;DR summary CStar? It's asking for registration to read it.
Jul 2021
3:45pm, 21 Jul 2021
8,217 posts
  •  
CStar
TL;DR

We accept 12-15,000 flu deaths and 2500-3000 vehicle related deaths as a reasonable price to pay for freedom to get on with our lives without any restrictions.

Question is whether this will still be acceptable now that we are all so aware of deaths from another respiratory virus (while acknowledging that Covid does not = Flu) or when/whether we will accept this level of deaths as a result of endemic Covid.
And the world is largely split into 'every person is sacred and no one should die' vs 'we have to accept that there will be some casualties in order for the rest of scosiety to get on'

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.