Bupa great north run

30 watchers
Sep 2010
10:53am, 20 Sep 2010
39 posts
  •  
funky alchemist
A 10 hour sleep saw me feeling right as rain first thing - bit of an ache trying to negotiate down stairs after sitting at my desk for a couple of hours but other than that hunky dory.

I reached an agreement with my knacked achilles about 6km in that I wouldn't push hard and it wouldn't get any worse so managed to get round in 1hr 49min and had a good massage on it at the kidney research tent (although I was biting my arm to stop from yelping).

Brother was unlucky and skidded on a discarded bottle so had to hirple the last quarter and got in around the 2 1/2 mark. Turned up late, soaked, limping and bedraggled. Best story of the day was a buddy who wasn't thinking and accepted a handful of vaseline thinking it was some kind of energy gel and ate it - spent miles worrying about whethere vaseline is edible and where that hand might have been earlier. :)
Sep 2010
11:02am, 20 Sep 2010
1,580 posts
  •  
Catterick Claire
rofl, I saw the hands of vaseline, bet that tasted nice, good carbs though ;-) Those water stations were a nightmare, loads of bottles to avoid and those little bottles tops were all over the place.
Sep 2010
11:41am, 20 Sep 2010
1,054 posts
  •  
katec
I made it round in 2.06 so pleased and 4 minutes off my PB! Nice to meet the few Fetchies I saw, and Fetch point was a big lift, thank you fetch pointers :-)
Sep 2010
12:01pm, 20 Sep 2010
12 posts
  •  
JimM
Morning - I didn't manage my sub-2 target by a measy minute so slightly gutted about that but I think you do have to take into consideration just how many people do this and if you add the "snaking" and dodging of groups you probably do another half mile so I'm still happy with it. Unfortunately I didn't make it to the Fetch meet at the start as I'd also got a couple of mates to meet at the baggage buses. I did notice Fetchpoint but I was a wee bit boxed in at the time so unable to make myself known. Thanks for being there though. Just seeing you gave me a bit of extra boost.

Great atmosphere again though in White G. I'd moved back from White F to run with my pals. I still get a lump in my throat during abide with me. The drinks stations did seem a little more untidy this year as the tops were all over the place (aren't they normally removed first??) and people didn't seem to be throwing bottles to the side. That seems like a moan but I still absolutely love this event and will be back next year to try and finally crack my GNR sub-2.
Sep 2010
12:29pm, 20 Sep 2010
506 posts
  •  
paul296
I also stupidly grabbed a vasaline Jelly Baby after about 11.5 miles.
Just looked at my hand and laughed thinking what have I done!
Sep 2010
12:30pm, 20 Sep 2010
1,800 posts
  •  
Black Cat
For anyone interested the following talks on various aspects of the GNR are taking place at the Great North Museum in Newcastle

Great Talks:
Friday 24th Sept, 6-8pm
Brendan Foster, Chairman of the Bupa Great North Run, talks about the origins and development of a North East fun run into the world's largest half-marathon

Wednesday 29th Sept, 2.30 – 3.30pm
Dave Newton, Managing Director of Nova International, who organise the Great North Run, talks about sports marketing and branding this major event

Saturday 2nd October, 2.30 – 3.30pm
Nigel Gough, Great North Run Race Director takes us behind the scenes of the big day...

Saturday 9th October, 4-5pm
Celebrated writer David Almond, best known for his award-winning book Skellig, talks about his story Harry Miller’s Run, created especially for Great North Run Culture in 2008

Information at twmuseums.org.uk
Sep 2010
12:42pm, 20 Sep 2010
598 posts
  •  
T no P
Morning all
Was aiming for 2:15 as I didn't think I was in very good shape and ended up with 2:15:18 so pretty chuffed. I also milled around for the photo-that-never-happened but it was good to see Old Croc and KateC before the race (KateC went flying past me at Fetchpoint as well - very impressed!). Fetchpoint was great as ever.
Can't wait to get home and watch Sky+ now.
Sep 2010
1:58pm, 20 Sep 2010
187 posts
  •  
Half Empty
Missed the photo call by about an hour by the time we had queued for the loo and dropped off baggage. Was one of those that got shut out of Orange D, some people were getting quite aggressive trying to get in whereas we waited and they opened the gate as soon as everyone started moving forwards.

As to the actual race I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it even though I struggled. Have been suffering from a cold so debated whether to run but dosed up on sudafed and gave it a go. I then decided to take off at sub 8 pace that I was hoping for if I had been fit, managed to keep it up until about 9 miles but then had to walk as my chest was tightening. Eventually got in in 1:55. Saw a few other fetchies but don't know their names, also as was in the fetch away strip I think I surprised fetchpoint by suddenly looming out of the crowd for a couple of high 5's
Sep 2010
8:36pm, 20 Sep 2010
140 posts
  •  
Mick the slug
Funny that, JimM. My sportsband said I'd done 13.88 miles by the finish....I know the calibration can be out by a bit sometimes and I put it down to that but that's a lot of weaving about. Did anyone else's measuring thingies give a longer distance than 13.1?
Sep 2010
8:38pm, 20 Sep 2010
12,716 posts
  •  
Princess Purple Bubbles
my nike plus said I had done 22.2km in 2hrs20mins26secs...time matched precisly my chip time!!!

About This Thread

Maintained by gadgy
Hi i see there are loads of fellow Fetchies in the GNR just wondering if there are a few hoping for...