Bupa great north run

1 lurker | 30 watchers
Sep 2010
7:55pm, 19 Sep 2010
625 posts
  •  
LythamRunner
Good point MR!! And I think you just might have enjoyed yourself GG! ;)
Sep 2010
7:59pm, 19 Sep 2010
1,265 posts
  •  
MeLAR
A Nana pushing a buggy did ask had I seen Joe? Joe who I ask.....you know Joe!!!! Is he a fetchie, because thats who I'm looking for....she just carried on walking for some reason :-0
Sep 2010
8:24pm, 19 Sep 2010
8 posts
  •  
mctauk
Hi All,

Good race today, Got round it in 1:44:45, Well done to other runners

Very dissapointed with start though, I was Orange Zone C but marshal guy would not let us in as was too full! Had to to try for D further back and eventually got in. After race got underway was shocked at how many Pink and White number runners that were in the Orange pens. How did this happen? Would explain why Orange Zone C was so full. Within the first mile some were walking!! Got to 2 mile and more were walking!

I know this is a great fundrasing event and is about passion and atmophere but the slower runners need to respect the distance and have consideration for faster paced runners. The pens are there for a reason. Anyone else experience this at the start?

Atmophere was great as usual, Plenty of fluid stops on the go and end was fairly well organised. Dont think I will do again for few year now though.
Sep 2010
8:31pm, 19 Sep 2010
182 posts
  •  
simpleeeee
franceeeee had a similar experience, struggling to get into orange zone d as it was full of runners who had been forced to move back from orange a to c - already full, this at 10am, 30 mins before the pens should shut. 200m into the race the first walkers were past, contratulating each other on at least having run a part of the course!!
Sep 2010
8:52pm, 19 Sep 2010
595 posts
  •  
T no P
Loved the race today. Finished in 2:15:18 which was 4 minutes faster than last year. Fetchpoint was FANTASTIC (thank you all). I turned up at 9 for the photo but probably at the wrong place cos apart from OLd Croc I didn't see anyone.
Still a good day - well done to all who finished
Sep 2010
8:54pm, 19 Sep 2010
9 posts
  •  
franceeeee
Yeah, bit shocked at the start; only just made it into Orange D after queueing outside for ages; they closed the pen not long after I got in, which caused a big surge and meant I was a little bit crushed in for a while; people shouting out stop pushing forwards - not pleasant and felt like an incident waiting to happen.

Cap that off with people walking before the first flyover and groups of people running / walking side-by-side chatting. I take my hat off to anyone who takes part in this event, whether for charity or personal reasons, but totally agree with mctauk (fab time by the way) that they need to be realistic about their predicted times and respect the faster runners. The crowd were fantastic as usual, esp. given the weather and water stops were plentiful - I will think seriously about doing this event next year though. Never enough toilets!!
Sep 2010
9:02pm, 19 Sep 2010
1,955 posts
  •  
scottynbn
Great day out despite the dodgy weather. I thought folk went into the pens later this year, maybe sheltering from rain? I know we went into ours later than usual and it was comfortable but seemed to fill up very quickly after that. Thanks to Fetchpoint for jelly-babies, and well done to Smout for a fantastic run which I had the privelage of sharing until I couldn`t keep up any more around mile 9 :-)
Sep 2010
9:18pm, 19 Sep 2010
1,576 posts
  •  
Catterick Claire
I was in white zone G & did see a few people walking at 1-2 miles which did suprise me but it was my first GNR so I thought this was the norm. I was in my zone at 10am & it wasn't too crowded. Lots of people were jumping the barrier at 10.30 to get in though after being in the bushes :-0 Great experience and really enjoyed it, hope I can get in next year.
Sep 2010
9:39pm, 19 Sep 2010
229 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
haha claire i was in white G- i jumped over barrier 3 times to pee on the verge- but i had my nice long rain plastic bag to protect my modesty!!
well done to all who took part!! glad i finished before the heavens opened!!!
Sep 2010
9:46pm, 19 Sep 2010
4,068 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I'm sure its mentioned somewhere but could anyone tell me what the entry fee is for the Great North Run ?

About This Thread

Maintained by gadgy
Hi i see there are loads of fellow Fetchies in the GNR just wondering if there are a few hoping for...