Woof! Bark! And also Whiiiiiiiiiine.

107 watchers
14 Mar
7:36am, 14 Mar 2024
18,550 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
That's awful Big_G - our vets are lovely and apologise re the costs of drugs, and are happy to do just prescriptions.

They also don't seem to push too much treatment etc unless it is totally necessary. Would change vets, been with them all of Marvin's almost 13 years of life
14 Mar
7:47am, 14 Mar 2024
16,522 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
Our vets are lovely too and I wouldn't change them. Charlie has been with them from being a puppy and he loves going there and getting fussed.

They also admitted that they don't want to be doing AHCs and are as frustrated as owners are about the demise of the perfectly usable UK pet passport. The vet we got our AHC from has set up a side business doing AHCs for £99. This seems a good idea as they have now done hundreds if not thousands and the folk at the Tunnel actually said they like people to use them as they know there will be no mistakes on the form!

We are back at the vet on Friday for a follow up, first visit since December. As far as I can see, Charlie's problem has cleared and I'm expecting him to be signed off. It's taken exactly a year to sort and we still have no idea what it was and what triggered it.
14 Mar
8:01am, 14 Mar 2024
12,327 posts
  •  
Mazlin
I guess a lot of people assume that the vet in front of them is personally responsible for and personally benefiting from all of the practice’s charges and policies, which in most cases is just not true, any more than the doctor you see in hospital about your knee is personally in control of the waiting list.
14 Mar
8:57am, 14 Mar 2024
7,351 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
It's always a shame isn't it. The people on the front line who are also victims of mismanagement/cost cutting are the ones who get it in the neck rather than the true culprits who are never seen by the public
14 Mar
9:37am, 14 Mar 2024
10,599 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Quite agree TR - And it's not as if high vet costs are anything new. There is no NHS for animals so veterinary care always has and always will come at a cost. I remember with our childhood dogs my parents talking about how expensive it was to take them to the vets - and in those days there was a) less that the vet could do for them and b) less marketing to pet owners (not from vets but from pet shops/suppliers) that they are somehow a bad owner if they don't buy their pet all sorts of stuff (most of which they don't need). And then when everyone has a bit less money in their pocket and they do need the vet it is of course going to be expensive. But I remember at the stables I was at 30-40 years ago we used to have a mock list of the vet's call out fees which included 'putting wellies on' - £40;
15 Mar
9:11pm, 15 Mar 2024
65,005 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Our really good friends lost their vizsla and one of Tuss’s best pals, Doric today. She was very similar age to Tuss, which has reminded us of his mortality too. We’re all very sad
15 Mar
9:13pm, 15 Mar 2024
65,006 posts
  •  
Derby Tup

Doric in middle. Rest easy vizsla 🧡
16 Mar
7:39am, 16 Mar 2024
19,999 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
Very sad :(