Woof! Bark! And also Whiiiiiiiiiine.

3 lurkers | 107 watchers
13 Mar
8:18am, 13 Mar 2024
16,510 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
A long ramble - sorry!
In case it’s not clear, the written prescription cost £25, not the actual medication. A bit steep I thought, but this is the vet who wanted to charge £280 for an Animal Health Certificate 3 years ago!
It sounds like I’m complaining - I’m not really, I have a good relationship with the vet and trust them completely. It just all seems ridiculously expensive.
13 Mar
8:36am, 13 Mar 2024
19,984 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
Do you put a flea collar on Charlie in Spain, Alice?
13 Mar
8:53am, 13 Mar 2024
5,100 posts
  •  
JustCommando!
Our previous cat had a long term thyroid condition so we got prescription (about £20) and the medication online at about half the price of the vets. The vets were never openly funny about it but somehow the prescriptions had to be picked up (not emailed), chased up sometimes etc ... Still saved money overall and they extracted plenty from my wallet at 3 monthly blood tests.
13 Mar
9:19am, 13 Mar 2024
18,544 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
We brought the prescription from the vet and then brought Loxicom on line. It worked out we had 6 months medication for the cost that the vets would charge for 1 month.

Marvin's monthly painkillers cost us £26 per month from the vets - don't think it would work much cheaper but depends how long the prescription would be for.

When he has blood tests that adds another £130 is to the bill
13 Mar
9:42am, 13 Mar 2024
16,512 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
SarahWoo I bought a seresto collar online for whilst we were in Spain. The vet said it wasn’t needed as Charlie’s regular monthly flea treatment would be sufficient but they’ve advised us to use one every other time we’ve been so I didn’t feel very comfortable going without the extra protection.
13 Mar
2:38pm, 13 Mar 2024
39,820 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Just spoken to our vet. The Metacam from them is now £86.37 (that's with a discount because we're in their Pet Health Club...which we pay for!) while just a prescription is £30. As the Metacam is less than £20 online it's a no-brainer! I appreciate our vets have much higher overheads but really that does seem exorbitant.
13 Mar
4:22pm, 13 Mar 2024
10,598 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
We have to pay around £30-something for a prescription but then buy Wanda's thyforon online. I'm not quite sure why printing out a piece of paper and asking a vet to sign it, which we then pick up from them costs quite so much but I am sure there's a good reason for it. We did get our last prescription done for free because the vet had asked for not the full set of tests we were expecting when Wanda last had her bloods done (which of course we also paid for)
13 Mar
4:49pm, 13 Mar 2024
22,420 posts
  •  
Sharkie
This vets thing seems disgraceful.

Crikey, I know Jess has died, but she was 11.5, really low maintenance, and genuinely very healthy with lovely thick shiny coat - right up until two days beforehand. We never even took out pet insurance - we didn't when I was a kid, don't even know if it existed then, and decided this time we'd pay from our savings if we needed to. (And we would have, of course.)

I assume luck was involved but I did research a lot of stuff while she was a puppy and think I made the right health related decisions. Besides being spayed and her yearly checks and booster jabs, we took her to the vets just once extra all those years when a wound on her side became infected.

Billy no Mates for Flea and tick protection. Four Vermex a day for intestinal health. Crunchy fish skin and bone cubes for her teeth.
13 Mar
4:52pm, 13 Mar 2024
22,421 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Raw food for the first six years, then half raw half quality kibble.

And lots of vegetables! I'm just about getting over not throwing ends of veg (she LOVED swede!) onto the floor or saving bits to take back to Hastings.
13 Mar
4:54pm, 13 Mar 2024
22,422 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I know she's dead, so hope the above doesn't sound smug.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
Support thread for owners of puppies.
Well, why not?

Now including All Matters dogdogdogDOG dogdogdog