Woof! Bark! And also Whiiiiiiiiiine.

2 lurkers | 107 watchers
25 Feb
7:48am, 25 Feb 2024
6,596 posts
  •  
Winniefree
Also just catching up. So sad to hear about Jess.
6 Mar
9:24pm, 6 Mar 2024
10,594 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Seems fat Labradors can now blame their genes
bbc.co.uk

Yeah... *guilty look* that cheese that you just put on the table for a minute.... it's my genes see.... dog heart
SJA
6 Mar
9:51pm, 6 Mar 2024
155 posts
  •  
SJA
When I read that news I thought I had already heard about the lab fat gene. Thought I was having a mandella effect episode but this is from 2016 so I'm not going mad!

cam.ac.uk
7 Mar
9:04am, 7 Mar 2024
39,784 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Flossie may be on the 'well-covered' side of things but she's never been anything like those dogs in the pictures in the BBC report :-0 I think the owners really need to get a grip. It's all very well making the odd mistake and leaving food unattended on a worktop (yes, I'm guilty of that) but if as one of the owners claims your dog will go so far as to dig up carrots (which let's face it have relatively few calories anyway) you adjust what you feed them accordingly.

On which note, when Flossie had that nasty bug the other week we resorted to adding half a pouch of 'meaty chunks in gravy' to her kibble and reduced the amount of kibble. She loves the new arrangement so we've stuck with it, and the bonus is that she has gradually lost some weight - her waist is more defined. There's a graphic in our vets' surgery showing shapes of dogs from above, varying from 'too thin' via 'just right' to 'overweight'. She's much closer to 'just right' now.
Sorry that was a bit of a ramble!
7 Mar
11:28am, 7 Mar 2024
10,595 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Wanda has a 'topping' of tinned food on her kibble too and used to have meaty chunks in gravy but we more often than not now have to ensure it is 'lean and tasty' instead. Partly due to the fact that various health things recently have meant fewer/shorter walks but more to do with the volume of treats and snacks that get dispensed when I am not around!
7 Mar
6:02pm, 7 Mar 2024
18,516 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Marvin has really struggled with our couple of days away in the wobblebox- he has been really out of sorts and unable to settle, which is very unlike him, he loved going away and exploring.

We are beginning to wonder what his quality of life is like for him now 😔
7 Mar
7:11pm, 7 Mar 2024
39,788 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
:-(
The breeder of our first two Labs said 'If they are still wagging their tail they still have some quality of life.' It's something we've borne in mind when said Labs came to the end of their lives.
8 Mar
9:05pm, 8 Mar 2024
7,572 posts
  •  
Helegant
leaving food unattended on a worktop
Have you been reading my blog? :-)
9 Mar
8:18am, 9 Mar 2024
39,793 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I did later Helegant :-)
9 Mar
10:30am, 9 Mar 2024
12,320 posts
  •  
Mazlin
Rory stole half a Madeira cake the other day in retaliation because I was cleaning upstairs and not paying attention to him. At least it wasn’t something with raisins in, I suppose.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
Support thread for owners of puppies.
Well, why not?

Now including All Matters dogdogdogDOG dogdogdog