What do you know today, that you did not yesterday?

1 lurker | 173 watchers
Apr 2021
3:01pm, 6 Apr 2021
20,517 posts
  •  
DeeGee
They all (used to?) do that. That's why you're advised not to use 'basic' debit cards (What used to be Visa Electron/Solo) or prepaid cards in them, because they lock up a big chunk of money regardless of how much you filled.

Very much works against lads on scooters, or the low-paid who only put in a tenner at a time, which is a bit unfair.
Apr 2021
3:04pm, 6 Apr 2021
58,950 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Yes, I got caught out that way once. Put £20 in on a debit card but it pre-authorised an amount that took me overdrawn. Never paid in that way again.
Apr 2021
3:28pm, 6 Apr 2021
20,518 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Could all be solved by allowing you to select a maximum authorisation amount like they do in the States. Our local Tesco does that as well.

It's a global issue, I fell foul of it in France a while ago in the days when I used to use a reloadable currency card. Also couldn't pay for car parking once because the machine at the barrier didn't have a constant connection to the authorisation service.

So glad I got a bank account that doesn't charge me for spending my own money nowadays and I don't have to bother with such a faff.
Apr 2021
3:29pm, 6 Apr 2021
20,519 posts
  •  
DeeGee
You shouldn't have got charged for an overdraw from a pre-auth, but you wouldn't be able to access your money, which is a pain.
Apr 2021
3:33pm, 6 Apr 2021
58,951 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I did, even when I queried it with the bank.
Apr 2021
4:44pm, 6 Apr 2021
20,578 posts
  •  
Rosehip
That's something I've never come cross - a useful warning!
When using an old card you can spend up to £99 however much you have in the bank and only get charged the 1p check for at least 24 hours
Apr 2021
4:50pm, 6 Apr 2021
58,955 posts
  •  
Diogenes
This happened to me ages ago, probably about 12-15 years? I think it used to pre-authorise £70 and adjust it to the correct amount once the transaction from the petrol station had gone through. In the meantime, as far as the banks are concerned, you have agreed to spend the full amount and have therefore chosen to go into overdraft.
Apr 2021
5:56pm, 6 Apr 2021
2,402 posts
  •  
Fitz
[In the good old days, credit card transactions at petrol stations would never decline due to the cardholder being over their credit limit. Something to do with the difficulty of giving the petrol back if you couldn't afford it.

This information was very useful if you were skint because even if you didn't need petrol you could stock up on fags, sweets, pop, pot-noodles, etc., safe in the knowledge that your card was good even if your credit was bad.

Of course, you'd pay later...

Don't ask me how I know.

# mis-spent, over-spent youth.]
Apr 2021
6:02pm, 6 Apr 2021
1,561 posts
  •  
Mushroom
That the roof of the Royal Albert Hall isn't fastened to the building and, the building dropped by a millimetre when the roof was put on top.

bbc.co.uk
Apr 2021
9:19pm, 6 Apr 2021
6,989 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
[In the good old days of the mid 80s when bank machines weren't networked the canny student could thoroughly enjoy the Xmas/ New Year holidays, safe in the knowledge that the January grant cheque (remember them?) would get to the bank before the cash debits did.]

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Ni ddychwel doe