•  
Rosehip
run strong with a smile x
4 May
9:12am, 4 May 2024
4,765 posts
  •  
StuH
Enjoy Dave, I'll be there but hope not to see you! (sweeping)
7 May
8:46pm, 7 May 2024
1,790 posts
  •  
MikeR.
The Scottish athletic banning poles is, I can confirm a myth. It comes from a series of events which was called SUMS. Scottish ultra marathon series which was setup to make ultras a thing in Scotland. It succeeded so disbanded as it wasn't needed anymore. One of their rules were no poles and everyone assumed it was Scottish athletics. Now it upto the race if they want to allow them.

Races like the Fling and the Devil were part of the series and have stuck with the rule.

This was confirmed by Ian Beattie on Facebook when someone asked previously. He was chair of Scottish athletics at the time.
7 May
9:01pm, 7 May 2024
2,784 posts
  •  
RooA
Well I found them very useful on Sunday and didn't have any issues with anyone else using them around me. Maybe where there's a bit of pace at the pointy end they are more of a problem/risk. But the front end is always going to have less use for them simply for being out for less time!

I was, in the end, very impressed with UltraX and would happily do another one of their events.
7 May
9:12pm, 7 May 2024
19,478 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Glad to hear that RooA
7 May
9:29pm, 7 May 2024
31,931 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Thanks for clearing that up Mike :)

(Roo has written a most magnificent blog btw)
7 May
9:34pm, 7 May 2024
8,799 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Another vote for Roo’s blog :-)
7 May
10:09pm, 7 May 2024
2,302 posts
  •  
IanS
And another vote for Roo 😀

The only time I've had a problem with people using poles was on the Ring of Steall with a narrow steep rocky climb early on where I lost count of the number of times I nearly got stabbed in the face by people in front...

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
Any upcoming races you want putting in the header then drop me (Rosehip) an Fmail & I'll put it in

Spine tracker

live.opentracking.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.