So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

80 watchers
Aug 2012
1:06pm, 26 Aug 2012
359 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
I'm not a cyclist and don't know a great deal about it but have always admired Lance Armstrong. It's sad but it does seem from what I've read that he is a doper. Like Bazoaxe and Chrisull said I think arbitration should still go ahead though. One question I'd like to ask is if he is stripped of his titles, are all the 2nd place cyclists from those years deserving of the title? What I mean is some of those athletes were known dopers too. Is there strong evidence that they were dope free at the time? Or is it possible that their position is a bit dodgy too?
SPR
Aug 2012
1:20pm, 26 Aug 2012
17,456 posts
  •  
SPR
The most likely thing to happen is that they will have no winner as most have been implicated in doping. It is possible they may be awarded the win though (and maybe legally have to be given it?) if doping is not proven in the time frame of the wins. Ullrich has said he is isn't interested in claiming the titles.

This was found on Letsrun this morning in regards to Lance refusing abitration, etc: 3wiresports.com
Aug 2012
5:06pm, 26 Aug 2012
4,972 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Another good article SPR. Interestingly plenty in the comments still crying witch hunt and saying the 10 riders are all ex dopers with axes to grind. "Don't worry mother, it's not your little boy who is marching out of step, it's everyone else in the parade... "

For me it was the Hincapie volte face that clinched it. Hincapie is not an ex doper (well he is in all probability, but like Armstrong, not one who failed any tests). He doesnt have an axe to grind, he was the loyal lieutenant in all 7 of Lance's tours. Lance constantly referenced Hincapie's performances on twitter until recently in most favourable terms. He was Armstrong's quote "best bro". Other riders also ready to testify were David Zabriskie and Christian Vandervelde. Also American, also never failed a test. Zabriskie, Vandervelde and Hincapie, all pulled out of the Olympics suddenly last month. Here's more on the relationship between Big George and Lance. nytimes.com
SPR
Aug 2012
8:15pm, 26 Aug 2012
17,459 posts
  •  
SPR
Good article Chris.
Aug 2012
10:37am, 27 Aug 2012
2,948 posts
  •  
fitzer
So the question remains, who now holds the title of race winner from 99 to 05?
Aug 2012
7:17pm, 27 Aug 2012
5,382 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Science of Sport explain it for the terminally deluded sportsscientists.com
Aug 2012
7:21pm, 27 Aug 2012
18,137 posts
  •  
idio
Look if no one wants the titles i'll have them along with any prize money.
Aug 2012
7:43pm, 27 Aug 2012
9,532 posts
  •  
Stander
You have the money and titles. I'll take the yellow jerseys. Fair spilt?
Aug 2012
7:46pm, 27 Aug 2012
17,960 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
That'll make you both dopers by association ;)
Aug 2012
7:51pm, 27 Aug 2012
18,138 posts
  •  
idio
Thats a deal Stander, as long as I can have one of the jersey signed by you to put on the wall.

Think I could live with that eL Bee :)

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.