So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

1 lurker | 80 watchers
Jul 2018
6:22pm, 12 Jul 2018
5,252 posts
  •  
larkim
That would be my only reservation about LA in that he hasn't quite cleared that remorse hurdle. But if he did, then I can't see why he shouldn't be a team manager.
Jul 2018
6:49pm, 12 Jul 2018
38,610 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
^-^ I don't think I have much to add. Which never stopped me before ;)

It's long been observed that elite endurance athletes (not only cyclists) are more likely to be diagnosed as having asthma. There are factors in their sports which can make their airways hyperreactive (including, but not necessarily limited to, greater exposure to environmental allergens and pollutants) AND someone with a minor degree of bronchial hyperreactivity is more likely to become aware of it on exertion.

(I was surprised to discover a few years ago that I show slight evidence of asthma on spirometry. I have no wheeze at all except when I run hard in cold weather or, on a couple of occasions in my lifetime, for a few weeks after a respiratory infection. If I was doing a race that mattered to me on a cold dry day I'd take a couple of puffs of salbutamol beforehand. If I didn't run and hadn't done a test as part of a course in learning to record spirometry, I'd never know.)

I remain convinced that there's no reason to believe that overdosing on salbutamol is performance enhancing and I'm glad Froome is off the hook on this occasion.
Jul 2018
7:16pm, 12 Jul 2018
5,254 posts
  •  
larkim
That experience of mild asthma showing up seems to me to be exactly the sort of thing that an elite would see and the docs say “I can resolve that for you within the rules - would you like that resolving?” To which any sensible athlete would say “Yes”. And with the advancement of teams understanding of medical conditions etc, testing for mild asthma would seem to me to be something that would be worth doing on a routine basis for all elite athletes.
Jul 2018
7:16pm, 12 Jul 2018
26,313 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Velo, where do stand on the ‘asthmatics were the sickly kids at school who couldn’t do sports so why are they winning marathons or bike races’ argument please?
Jul 2018
7:28pm, 12 Jul 2018
38,613 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That hasn't been the case for decades, DT. Certainly since before the current generation of pro cyclists were at school. Asthma treatment is safe, effective and accessible and parents and children are generally motivated to use it, and it's exceptional for a young person's asthma to be so brittle that they can't do sport and are ill a lot.

And asthma can develop at any age. It's not unusual for exercise-induced asthma to start in adolescence.
Jul 2018
8:20pm, 12 Jul 2018
26,315 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
My God I feel old

What about scurvy and rickets Velo?
Jul 2018
8:28pm, 12 Jul 2018
38,614 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Scurvy and rickets aren't generally considered performance-enhancing, DT ;)

Never seen full-blown scurvy. Or rickets, although we're always being told Rickets Is Coming Back and biochemical vitamin D insufficiency is common.
Aug 2018
10:46pm, 30 Aug 2018
13,200 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I'm back here... did you miss me larks?

Tyler Hamilton's latest Q+A (him of "The secret race")

velonews.com

If some of those answers don't worry you, I don't know what will. And it isn't about Froome or Sky or one rider or one team in general, it is the whole culture, and I'm not convinced it's changed.

"There are plenty of secrets that haven’t come out versus what has, and now it’s looking less likely that they will ever be told. "

"Say you took EPO for a year, 10 years later, you’re still strong because of that one year. You were able to train harder, longer, all of that and you have a bigger base, if you really break it down and want to be ethical about it."
Aug 2018
6:34am, 31 Aug 2018
5,460 posts
  •  
larkim
If he knows “secrets” that haven’t yet come out, why doesn’t he tell us them? Too much like Kara “ooh look at me” Goucher’s position to make me comfortable.

I don’t doubt he’s correct about EPO and the long lasting benefits - after all, the runners in here seem to agree on the concept of base building and leveraging that in the future, so if EPO allowed you to base build well, then future seasons would certainly benefit. But who is he pointing the finger at in suggesting that 10 years ago they were on EPO I wonder? There’s little that can be done to flush that from the current peloton, just have to let it run through, whoever it impacts.

I will take time to read the link though!!
Aug 2018
9:10am, 31 Aug 2018
13,320 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
That was my thought exactly larkim. Tyler isn’t exactly a credible witness given his history of lies. That said some of what he says is probably not far wrong.

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.