Miaow, Purr, Yawn!

67 watchers
May 2018
7:18pm, 15 May 2018
3,040 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I never managed to get our first cat to understand the cat flap. We had to tie the actual flap out of the way in the end.
May 2018
9:38pm, 15 May 2018
4,030 posts
  •  
Corrah
I use a microchip cat flap and when it was installed once I'd moved here the cats had forgotten how to use it. Cue lots of shoving them through it from different directions. They eventually got it although it's at the back and they still expect to be let out the front.

Harry is gorgeous by the way :)
May 2018
9:39pm, 15 May 2018
1,047 posts
  •  
beebop
Harry’s gorgeous. I have no advice on getting cats to use a cat flap, because the previous two (in a previous house) got it immediately without our assistance, but the current two insist on having theirs propped open. It might be because they can’t see through it into the main body of the garden, so they want the option of peering round the corner with the back end still inside. The one remaining cat that we brought here when we moved didn’t have a problem with that, but she mostly refused to recognise that she was in a different house. Cats.
May 2018
9:44pm, 15 May 2018
3,470 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Two of our cats manage the cat flap with no difficulties. Middle cat stands scratching at it for ages before she happens to accidentally move a paw to a part of the flap that will move and create a bit of a space she can push herself through. Middle cat is 5 and has lived here since she was a tiny abandoned feral kitten my son adopted and nurtured.
May 2018
10:21pm, 15 May 2018
17,765 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Mason is frightened of the click when the microchip unlocks the flap. Also he's a bit too fat...
CK2
May 2018
10:28pm, 15 May 2018
176 posts
  •  
CK2
Our cats mastered the cat flap after a lot of encouragement and eventually one got the hang of it and the other copied him! I’m not sure there’s a trick, just trial and error I’m afraid.

We have a very noisy, growly cat at the moment. They’re indoor cats (due to breed) but we take them out to walk around the garden on leads. Since recommencing this with the good weather, one cat cries and shouts to go out throughout the day. She also growls at her sister - we think taking out her frustrations. Poor sister and very irritating as she’s loud and relentless! Ah well, we have an outdoor enclosure arriving this week which should help!
May 2018
10:56pm, 15 May 2018
12,658 posts
  •  
Chrisull
My old cat Mima could open a locked one way cat flap. She was a little minx.

Harry knows what a catflap is, but only uses it to go out. And then exits the back garden (that backs on to open fields) to sit under hedges, by the road (a cul de sac) at least.

Magic, my blind and deaf 18 year old still uses the cat flap perfectly to go out and sunbathe, or get the dogs water if he's drunk all of hers.

Oh and two weeks ago, out running with the club, saw a cat being walked down the street on a lead, not one of the other runners noticed til I pointed it out. Cat was totally unphased by 20 sweaty humans thundering by in close proximity.
May 2018
9:26pm, 16 May 2018
2,976 posts
  •  
1step2far
Lennox is currently nil by mouth ready for the vets in the morning. She is not happy. I've even hidden the soap as she has a history of eating everything. Even that.
May 2018
8:14am, 17 May 2018
2,980 posts
  •  
1step2far
Made it to the vet. She is not happy... glad I hid the soap she was looking for it this morning. She really will eat anything!

[IMAG2E 95917]
May 2018
8:15am, 17 May 2018
2,981 posts
  •  
1step2far
Awww pic fromgallery of her looking very unimpressed didn't post!

About This Thread

Maintained by
A thread for those owned by cats, as we cannot possibly go onto the Bark and whine thread, its for d...