Heart rate

1 lurker | 298 watchers
Dec 2023
2:22pm, 21 Dec 2023
2,289 posts
  •  
Brunski
I don't think Fetch invented heartbeats per mile as I've seen something from Jason Cherriman that maybe originated with Steve Way about tracking heartbeats per mile to work out likely pace at a certain HR over the marathon.

It's a very useful tool to compare the same run, or if others are doing a standard training week.

Basically if you can run 5:50 per mile for say 150bpm after training whereas previously you were running 6:10 per mile chances are your training us working and you're getting fitter.

I think speed at threshold HR is possibly the most useful way of tracking your fitness over time.

Your 5k and 10k will be quicker than this, your HM and marathon will be slower than this.

If they aren't you're probably using a wrist based HRM (or random number generator as I now call them).
Dec 2023
2:58pm, 21 Dec 2023
22,880 posts
  •  
larkim
Obvs Steve Way is of this parish so perhaps there is a chicken and egg - did Steve Way love beats per mile because it was on Fetch, or did Fetch add beats per mile based on hearing about it via Steve Way?
SPR
Dec 2023
2:58pm, 21 Dec 2023
43,420 posts
  •  
SPR
Steve Way is/ was a Fetchie, he could easily have got it from here. I've done exactly what you described to work out likely pace at race distances and I got beats per mile from here.
Dec 2023
3:18pm, 21 Dec 2023
2,290 posts
  •  
Brunski
Yeah I think Fetch has always had the highest and average bpm on the log but only added the (per mile) in the last few years.

I only know this as I was working out my own version (at least in 2019) using a manual calc, I remember it as I had a HR plan for the marathon in Valencia that went out the window as I got to the start and found my HRM wasn't in my running bag (doh - typical of me to forget something on marathon day).
Dec 2023
3:26pm, 21 Dec 2023
22,881 posts
  •  
larkim
Fetch's blog that SPR linked yesterday talks about him adding it in 2010...
SPR
Dec 2023
5:07pm, 21 Dec 2023
43,421 posts
  •  
SPR
Beats per mile has been there for ages, I've been using for a while and I've the one the requested the graph that Fetch is referring to.
SPR
Dec 2023
5:15pm, 21 Dec 2023
43,422 posts
  •  
SPR
Ok, I can see where the confusion may have come from.

It's always been against individual runs but only on the heartrate tab in the log view. As that is my default view I've always known about it.

I went back to find the request I logged for the chart (it's ID 709) and I also requested that it be added in the summary at the top of individual runs in request 708 at the same time.
Dec 2023
5:35pm, 21 Dec 2023
2,291 posts
  •  
Brunski
Ah I see, probably just my view has changed... Either way it's a very useful thing to see!
Dec 2023
11:46pm, 21 Dec 2023
27,423 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Not ignoring you, rhb, I just don't know. Interesting that you don't feel any difference.
jda
Dec 2023
4:59am, 22 Dec 2023
16,126 posts
  •  
jda
In answer to rhb I’d say it sounds very much like an anticipated side effect of the stimulant and nothing to worry about. I’d be madly googling the drug in question also :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach