Heart rate

298 watchers
SPR
Dec 2023
6:05pm, 20 Dec 2023
43,416 posts
  •  
SPR
My comparison is of a similar session where while pace may vary, not enough to have a significant impact of the numbers.
SPR
Dec 2023
6:49pm, 20 Dec 2023
43,417 posts
  •  
SPR
I thought Fetch had written a blog about it and I was right. Here it is: fetcheveryone.com/blog/3/2023/2/463267

Confirms that Fetch indeed invented it.
Dec 2023
7:08pm, 20 Dec 2023
22,877 posts
  •  
larkim
It's definitely an interesting metric. Steve Way / marigold I think used to track it quite keenly.

There's some basic "physics" about how humans propel themselves, but there are so many factors to bring into the same place that it'd be a complex algorithm that tried to roll them all together:-
- VO2Max
- lung capacity
- heart size / capacity
- running efficiency (across different paces)
- aerobic efficiency (across different paces)
- LT threshold
etc etc

I guess beats per mile is something like the result of that equation, plus others. I guess all we really can say is that for a given pace / effort the intent is to get a lower number because lower is better pretty objectively for that pace.
Dec 2023
7:15pm, 20 Dec 2023
26,124 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I always paid attention to bpm and found it a good indicator of improving fitness and marathon readiness.

I accept the fact it’s personal to me, and also you see different numbers at faster paces, but it’s good to compare like for like and track progress
SPR
Dec 2023
7:21pm, 20 Dec 2023
43,418 posts
  •  
SPR
My standard (and repeated) week used to be a long run, progressive run, hill sprints after an easy run, and 3 other easy runs. When that was my plan, the graph was great. Essentially my average beats per mile for a week should have been dropping as I got fitter.

As my training is more varied now, it's harder to use the graph as changes in training balance mean it's not necessarily like with like.
Dec 2023
7:30pm, 20 Dec 2023
26,125 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I compared run to run rather than week to week.
SPR
Dec 2023
7:34pm, 20 Dec 2023
43,419 posts
  •  
SPR
I'm talking about the graph that Fetch mentioned in his blog. Run to run is ok and that's what I've been doing in my shoe analysis but the graph if you have a consistent training pattern works very well.
J2R
Dec 2023
11:21pm, 20 Dec 2023
4,924 posts
  •  
J2R
I'm talking about the graph that Fetch mentioned in his blog. Run to run is ok and that's what I've been doing in my shoe analysis but the graph if you have a consistent training pattern works very well.

We're not disagreeing, in fact. I would just say it's an interesting and potentially useful thing to observe over time for the same kind of run. For varied pace running, not so much.
Dec 2023
9:31am, 21 Dec 2023
1,733 posts
  •  
Daz Love
I am the same as others. I always compare my typical runs (5-6 miles) at similar pace and can look back over time and see it change. I find it a useful measure albeit avg BPM for same distance and pace does the job as well!
rhb
Dec 2023
12:47pm, 21 Dec 2023
2,087 posts
  •  
rhb
Covid in Oct but also now on stimulant meds for ADHD since Sept, which of these is most likely to mean my steady effort is consistently appx 15 bpm higher even though my RPE feels similar to what I'd consider "Normal"?

Should I be flagging to the health service?

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach