FOOTBALL

161 watchers
Nov 2021
8:10pm, 8 Nov 2021
24,172 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
Curbishley was a classic of football fan delusion. He took them to untold heights and a string of top 10-12 ish finishes. First couple they were delighted; then they got antsy ‘football not good enough’ ‘taken us as far he can’ and started calling for his head. Madness.
Nov 2021
8:20pm, 8 Nov 2021
7,263 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I'm certainly not one of those Town fans that made McCarthy's last few months untenable. Just look where he left us and where we are now. Enough said.
Nov 2021
8:23pm, 8 Nov 2021
7,264 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
At best we are a decent Championship side. I was lucky having a season ticket while we were in the Premiership. And the European away days to Helsingborg, Milan, Luxembourg (Avenir Beggen) and Liberec will remain with me forever.

Also I actually got to see Town to beat Inter Milan. That won't happen again in my lifetime.
Nov 2021
8:29pm, 8 Nov 2021
3,652 posts
  •  
gcwenn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFm_RLU64e4&ab_channel=ZacharyBrazier
Nov 2021
8:42pm, 8 Nov 2021
7,265 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Best manager we've had since BFJ and then Burley.
Nov 2021
4:33pm, 9 Nov 2021
24,176 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
BFJ?

Burley was a very good manager for a while, don't know where it went wrong for him.
Nov 2021
8:38pm, 9 Nov 2021
7,267 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Big Fat Joe (Joe Royle).

Unfortunately, in my view, the board, led by Sheepshanks got over excited with the first season back in the Premiership. Splashed the cash we didn't really have. Brought in players that weren't part of the successful season and subsequently got relegated the next season.

The season back in the Championship was hamstrung by a fire sale of the best assets.

I was at Grimsby away, we lost 3-0 I think, when Burley was sacked shortly afterwards. He had lost his way but it wasn't entirely his fault. If the board had been more prudent who knows what may have happened.
Nov 2021
8:57pm, 9 Nov 2021
1,323 posts
  •  
Ally-C
BFJ? Burley was a very good manager for a while, don't know where it went wrong for him.

Was he not allegedly fond of a shandy or three?
Nov 2021
8:59pm, 9 Nov 2021
7,268 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
BFJ? Burley was a very good manager for a while, don't know where it went wrong for him. Was he not allegedly fond of a shandy or three?

Never held back Sir Alex... except he liked a pint or more of Malt? ;-)
Nov 2021
9:09pm, 9 Nov 2021
1,324 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Kinda bizarre that someone with a decent managerial record like his never managed again since his mid fifties.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Ah, the beautiful game, remember that? Let's put down some jumpers and have a socially-distanced kickabout. Long shots only, and no hugging and kissing.