Fetch Birdwatchers

2 lurkers | 166 watchers
23 Aug
2:29pm, 23 Aug 2024
2,827 posts
  •  
RooA
THE BEAK ON IT THOUGH! Blimey. It was really quite close and flew past in profile. We're a little outside where you might expect to see them but it was definitely not a big buzzard! šŸ¤£
J2R
23 Aug
6:43pm, 23 Aug 2024
5,581 posts
  •  
J2R
The last couple of days I listed the interesting birds which I have seen here in south west Bulgaria. Nothing interesting to add to that today, apart from a chiffchaff in a young pine tree at around 2200m - it's a bird I get around my Norfolk garden. What was noticeable today was what was NOT there on a hike I've done maybe 3-4 times before. I've always seen ring ousels there before, but not today. Similarly I've always seen crossbills there but none today. And in the town therw are usually loads of black redstarts but I haven't seen any this time. Puzzling.

Still, swifts are screeching past me as I write, so all is well!
23 Aug
8:39pm, 23 Aug 2024
299 posts
  •  
tinebeest
@RooA : Nice one! Seen a handful of bald eagles in the US, including one where I had to run under its perch over the towpath. I felt very... watched, let's say. I think I have a crappy iPhone pic of it somewhere, will post if I find it. Majestic sounds like a good word for the Golden, @Derby Tup. The white head makes the bald ones a bit more show off imho.

Apparently we have one tiny duckling floating around on the water near here (it squeaks all day long), and the other ducks, up to 8 of them, seem to collaborate in looking after it. Mind you, this is hearsay from a non-birding neighbour so no idea if this is her interpretation or actually happening. Any ideas about duck co-ops?
23 Aug
8:44pm, 23 Aug 2024
300 posts
  •  
tinebeest
Strong contender in the category "Worst picture of a bald eagle in the history of the universe" - it is not a chicken up a tree but if you zoom in enough and squint a bit you can see this bird has a white head šŸ˜¹
23 Aug
9:55pm, 23 Aug 2024
67,650 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
:-)
23 Aug
10:12pm, 23 Aug 2024
2,828 posts
  •  
RooA
On reflection and looking at pictures I think my golden eagle might have been a white tailed eagle... maybe juvenile without the white tail. :-o I jumped to golden because it didn't have the white tail but the beak was much more white tailed eagle than golden eagle. Yellow and big.
23 Aug
10:26pm, 23 Aug 2024
6,428 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Roo - we saw both eagles when on Mull recently. The difference in wing shape convinced me. Having a guide helped too, LOL!

Wonderful spot either way :-)
J2R
24 Aug
12:46pm, 24 Aug 2024
5,582 posts
  •  
J2R
This morning's bird treats in the Bulgarian mountains are collared and red-breasted flycatchers, in both cases either females or non-breeding males, so identification a bit more difficult. But I was also faced with a situation I'm pretty well unused to these days, a view of a bird which was completely unknown to me, and as I don't have a bird book with me, I'm looking for suggestions from the assembled birders of Fetch. I saw a bird about the size of a chaffinch, which I took to be a finch or bunting although not sure why as I didn't get a view of the bill, with a chocolate brown crown and nape and a black and white wing tip. Any ideas?
24 Aug
1:17pm, 24 Aug 2024
6,429 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Sounds Shrikey from the description. Is there such a thing as a Brown Shrike, I think there might be?
24 Aug
1:21pm, 24 Aug 2024
67,658 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
en.m.wikipedia.org

Possibility?

About This Thread

Maintained by AngelWings
Big Garden Birdwatch 26-28th January rspb.org.uk

BTO BirdTrack: blx1.bto.org

BirdTrack App: bto.org