Electric car anyone?

72 watchers
May 2021
10:30pm, 19 May 2021
120 posts
  •  
theOtherRichard
Yes. Mild hybrids just look like a way to pretend you're running on electric and giving yourself a few extra mpg in an ICE car. I'm going to test drive one on Friday, but I'm hoping that the Corsa-e that I'm testing straight after it impresses me enough to part with the extra cash.
It's been good lurking in here; learning and building the courage (and data) to nearly take the plunge.
May 2021
6:25am, 20 May 2021
14,404 posts
  •  
larkim
Corsa-e is pretty much the same as the Peugeot e208 so I'll be interested to know what you think. I'd suspect the peugeot is nicer trimmed inside, but that's likely just my prejudice against Vauxhall!
May 2021
7:51am, 20 May 2021
38,755 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm still horrified by the up front cost. I try and buy with cash nowadays as I like to avoid debt.

So I usually buy second hand. A 20k car depreciates 10k in 3 years then I start again. So my 3 Yr motoring costs 10k. 1.5k pa fuel and 500 service costs in 3yrs so 15k total.

Same car new would be 35k. BEV eqiv is 60k !!

Even if I save 1k a year on fuel(?) that's a huge extra cost, isn't it?

I want to go electric but it looks unaffordable? Please convince me otherwise! :-) G
May 2021
8:10am, 20 May 2021
33,328 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Just found this thread
Had my Yaris Hybrid for 3 weeks now. Love it. The electric bit kicks in automatically and clever recovery of power when cruising or slowing down. Even goes electric when at a steady cruising speed. Over 60 mpg average at mo. That on localist runs - it'll get a good try out soon.
May 2021
8:45am, 20 May 2021
38,757 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
OC, hi, be good to get your hybrid experience, as I want to go electric but full electric seems to expensive for me. So I might go hybrid.

How big is the electric battery in your Yaris, how long can you go electric only? :-) G
May 2021
8:51am, 20 May 2021
5,136 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Richard - I can imagine that you can drive a hybrid on e-power and it will feel pretty good. Just remember that your BEV-to-be will feel that good ALL of the time :-).

Agree with you G that entry costs are prohibitive. Learnt a bit more about the impacts of cycling on batteries in recent days and now better understand the concerns about buying 2nd hand too. I suppose there's a risk in buying a 2nd hand ICE too but most of us seem to get over that. Perhaps there'll need to be some sort of certification of remaining battery efficiency to encourage 2nd hand buyers in the future? Who knows.
May 2021
8:56am, 20 May 2021
5,137 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Also heard from some in the industry that there is not expected to be a significant increase in battery performance in the near term and so the focus of new designs will be on improving aerodynamic efficiency. I hadn't appreciated that those flat grilles make quite an impact, as do flat / smooth wheels. Biggest change in fleet could be a re-focus on the more aero saloon design. I understand that's why the new eAudis aren't SUVs.
May 2021
9:09am, 20 May 2021
4,491 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
WW - is the next e-Audi not the Q4 which is an SUV ??
May 2021
9:09am, 20 May 2021
4,492 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
:-)G - if you change your car every 3 years, have you checked out lease deals, rather than buying ?

A very quick google shows you can get a VW ID3 for between £300-£600 pm depending on which model/battery-size, etc. Smaller cars should be less, bigger cars more, obviously

As you currently budget £10k per 3 years, plus say you "save" £1k pa in fuel, then £13k/36 gives £360pm, so not that different - although I think most of these lease deals require something like 6-9 months costs additional as an initial upfront cost, so maybe £3k'ish ? I've no idea, never leased a car, but I thought it was the best thing to do if you change regularly as you don't need to worry about depreciation ( which could be quite a thing in BEV is battery technology improves rapidly ), plus you don't have capital tied up in the car.
May 2021
9:14am, 20 May 2021
14,408 posts
  •  
larkim
I'd guess you could apply chunks of that logic to ICE cars too; putting aside the cooling requirements, there must be scope for massive improvements to fuel efficiency through aero design of cars. We've accumulated a tolerance the current fuel efficiency of existing Chelsea tractors, but if we ignored that and focussed on getting ICE more efficient through forcing customers to accept more aero designs we could be (or more realistically, should have been) saving chunks of CO2.

But if current battery capabilities forces aero efficiency as standard for the future, that will be no bad thing.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.