Cricket Thread

7 lurkers | 104 watchers
2 Oct
3:47pm, 2 Oct 2024
7,749 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Not read any of the above, but a couple of slightly obscure ones I've read and enjoyed are:

Slipless in Settle - a guy takes the bus to a season's worth of games in the northern leagues, describes the experience and also talks about the greats who have played at those grounds in the past.

What Was Wrong with that then, Umps? - diary of a league umpire through a couple of seasons' games, interactions with other umpire and with players

both available on Kindle. Neither are humourous as such but they aren't heavy
2 Oct
7:39pm, 2 Oct 2024
27,458 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Mused to love reading cricket biography books but have fallen out of the habit. I must get back to it

Next years cricket trip sorted, day one of the headingley test v India. Day two was sold out
2 Oct
9:29pm, 2 Oct 2024
39,652 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Alastair Cook's was very good, try that.
3 Oct
6:30am, 3 Oct 2024
153,853 posts
  •  
GregP
“Slipless in Settle” seems to be being promoted quite heavily by Waterstones- or at least the Chelmsford branch
3 Oct
7:33am, 3 Oct 2024
39,653 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Are we expecting a shellacking for Scotland women today, I am assuming so, or are Bangladesh not much to write home about?
3 Oct
8:53am, 3 Oct 2024
7,751 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Not sure about Bangladesh but several Scotland players play professionally in England so should put up a decent show
3 Oct
8:58am, 3 Oct 2024
22,051 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
GregP wrote:“Slipless in Settle” seems to be being promoted quite heavily by Waterstones- or at least the Chelmsford branch
Seems a bit funny, because it came out 10-15 years ago. Perhaps one of the staff has just read it. He's written quite a few books since, on other sporting topics, including a biography of my grandfather's childhood hero, West Indian all-rounder Sir Learie Constantine.
3 Oct
9:47am, 3 Oct 2024
20,117 posts
  •  
NDWDave
I quite enjoyed Jimmy Anderson’s book
3 Oct
12:52pm, 3 Oct 2024
32,163 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
Best cricketing bio I've read is Harold Larwood (by Duncan Hamilton)
3 Oct
2:37pm, 3 Oct 2024
39,656 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
If you liked Rain Men, then you have to read Zimmer Men, same writer, older people.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP