5:37pm, 30 Jun 2013
3,917 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Bean: Nescafé non-descript instant

Method: Kettle, mug, spoon
Sweetner: 2 teaspoons cane white sugar
Milk: skimmed
Receptacle: Chipped dairy milk, Easter egg special mug.

I'm interested in the different ways of sweetening the coffee, coconut palm sugar and was it Agave syrup? Do they have better health benefits than sugar or do they just taste better? :) I am looking for a replacement for sugar that might help my health a d weight loss so that's why I'm interested, artificial sweetners aren't that nice and I can't have coffee without something sweetening it! That's why I am interested
Jun 2013
5:43pm, 30 Jun 2013
25,933 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Bean: Nespresso pods, or some hideously expensive, allegedly fresh, customised blend that eL Bee! has on weekly order, or Kenco decaf, or whatever's on the go at work (currently Nescafe Gold Crema, which is surprisingly tolerable). Or whatever the tearoom is serving.
Method: Whatever's appropriate for that particular bean.
Water: Cumbrian tap.
Milk: Never.
Sweetener: Never.
Receptacle: Anything that's not too cumbersome and not plastic.
Jun 2013
6:00pm, 30 Jun 2013
235 posts
  •  
alpenrose
Bean: Nescafe instant
Method: Kettle, cup, spoon
Milk: semi skimmed
Sugar: not any more

Only two a day these days - if I need more then it has to be their decaf. I like strong coffee and most coffee in this country tastes like dishwater to me, especially "freshly brewed". :-O (And, how can the Americans call what they drink coffee?!)
Jun 2013
6:11pm, 30 Jun 2013
61,748 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Alpenrose, I am with you on American coffee... avoid it like the plague!

I can attest to eL Bee's coffee making abilities! The expensive blend is definitely worth it! The drink he had in his flask after a very very very very very, did I say very? cold abandoned MTB race was the best I ever tasted :) :) :) Unadulterated by milk or sweeteners of whatever kind :)
Jun 2013
6:14pm, 30 Jun 2013
25,937 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That was probably Kenco, Hanneke. I think the state you and he were in, anything warm would have tasted good :)
Jun 2013
6:18pm, 30 Jun 2013
61,750 posts
  •  
Hanneke
LOL V-rap, quite possibly! We would not have safely lasted another lap... we'd have succumbed to hypothermia!
Jun 2013
6:34pm, 30 Jun 2013
3,361 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Im really into my iced coffee at the moment - which is just ice and coffee and milk- no sweetener/sugar/syrup/gomme whatever crap that costa/cafe nero etc etc put in it- its really grinding my gears at the moment that whenever I order one and specify "no syrup or whatever thickening agent you put in it please" 9 out of 10 times it comes out and its sweet - it happened yesterday in costa and today in nero- I havent took sugar in tea/coffee since left school and i couldnt even stir my coffee/ tea with the same spoon as one with sugar in as i would taste it- so today in neros i said "this is sweet????" he said "yes its the syrup shot we have to put in" i said "but i specified NO SYRUP!!!!! its sweet and i cant drink this!" ...him "oh would you like me to make you another ?" ... whats so f ing difficult?? i have been drinking frappes/iced coffee in cyprus for 5 years and they dont feel the need to put shit in it so whats the deal with the UK?? rant over

i also love tea. nice and strong or green tea :-P

oh and i love Subway coffee although surely it would be the same in each place but NO the cambridge one is rank

I love Puro coffee my face cafe in town sells in and i buy the beans for my grinder
Jun 2013
6:38pm, 30 Jun 2013
13,718 posts
  •  
Steady Edina
Jambono in answer to your question Argave syrup and coconut palm sugar have a lower GI than cane sugar but still have calories. You could also consider Stevia which has zero calories but its supposed to have an unpleasant aftertaste. I think for coffee they recommend the liquid variety (some are flavoured with vanilla).

I sometimes use a sugar alcohol called Erythritol in baking if I want to reduce the carb count. It has almost no calorific value, supposed to cause less damage to teeth but too much of it can have a laxative effect (but not sure how much too much is)
Jun 2013
6:40pm, 30 Jun 2013
544 posts
  •  
old mum
I'm glad someone started this thread, I was thinking along the same lines the other day.

Grumpy Mule all the way for me. Having researched coffees and teas for a couple of years for the shop, Grumpy Mule were far and away the winners. Definitely worth hunting out, I just wish they'd develop an instant now.
Jun 2013
6:55pm, 30 Jun 2013
9,713 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Grumpy mule is good. I always buy beans and haven't seem Grumpy Mule beans yet. I use a Krups grinder.

I love frappes but I need the coffee sweetened before I add milk and ice.

My favourite dessert is affogato - perfect end to a meal for me and a good digestif.

So many coffees out there to try ... my local Waitrose has a big selection ... it's a sniffer's paradise for me.

I've got Raw Bean Mexican on the go at the moment and have just finished some Sumatran Mandheling from the 2-day coffee roasters - off to get some more on Monday. (They buy direct from the growers and source ethically.)

About This Thread

Maintained by Red Squirrel
Non-tea drinker here and nowhere to talk about the caffeine bean, so I thought I'd start a thread. ...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.