1000 miles in 2024

1 lurker | 59 watchers
Par by the end of today is 726.0
20 Aug
8:19pm, 20 Aug 2024
23,846 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Lovely that you’ve been out with the Sarah’s I hope the Sarah that fell yesterday was ok. That’s a lot of miles in 3 days - well done! And for your farmers walk.

I’m surprised the cushioning has deteriorated that quickly in storage Donnie had they changed the model from your trusty ones? They have an annoying habit of doing that. Or it may be that your old ones had just softened significantly and these feel firm for now?

Great photos and a fab run Duo thanks for sharing.

Good luck with Lisbon MrHSc I’m sure your prep will see you round in style.

Steve many people would have given up - that you have stuck with it despite restrictions says you’re hardcore and maybe a little stubborn. I do hope you get back to a level that you know is training but allows you to do more what you want to do.

I got out for 3.6 tonight just an easy run as at lunchtime when I planned to run I didn’t dare as o didn’t know when I’d get dialled into our team meeting - I did a strength workout with increased weights I expect I’ll feel that in a day or two.

11 days until The Berkeley I’m in a dilemma about it, I had plans my cousin and bestie were coming and being my crew but cousin bombed me out a few weeks ago, friend was happy to come but given I’m running for 10-24 hours it seems unfair to have her hanging around event HQ on her own (albeit it with other supporters) as it wasn’t what was planned. So today I messaged about plans to go down and she mentioned they were on holiday coming back early so she could come away with me and I said I was ok to go alone - which I am. She said she had been torn and knew it wouldn’t be what we planned but she’d be happy to come. I will miss her and I’ll have to drive at least back to st Ives after the run but I feel it’s a big ask for someone to crew when she’ll not get out and about as was the original plan. Hey Ho. Having the camper will be a blessing though.

I could travel with my club pal but we’d have to stay an extra night as either of us could drive back that far after a 24hr day + awake time either side of the run and the camper only has 2 seats. What a dilemma!
21 Aug
9:21am, 21 Aug 2024
7,086 posts
  •  
steve45
Thanks for the positive thoughts about my efforts gg, much appreciated. Stubborn? Probably! Damn it I'll run/ walk for the rest of my mobile time and continue to wait for the morning when I can run without stopping!
Berkeley will be a great experience I'm sure gg. It's not always possible to get a crew...Torey did several 100 miles without a crew and using trains to get there, the general support at such ultra events is usually amazing and you can do it crewless. I hope your dilemma dissipates.
It was interesting to read several articles about the deterioration of the mid soles of running shoes. They apparently have a shelf life like food! I presume/hope that the information is right and not just linked to foot wear companies trying to ensure high sales.

4.7 miles along mainly trails this morning on what felt a very autumnal morning. Getting up at 5 am in the light has been over for a week or so and it's back to the dark rising!
21 Aug
10:43am, 21 Aug 2024
37 posts
  •  
MrHSc
GG a 10-24 hr run wow don’t think I would contemplate that. Very impressive.

Steve yes quite autumnal this morning with the stuff cool breeze well done on the 4.7 miles.

9 mile marathon pace run this morning and 6 yesterday.

YTD 958 miles.
duo
21 Aug
11:16am, 21 Aug 2024
519 posts
  •  
duo
I could just be a bad production batch. I have a similar thing, I buy two pairs of my 'workhorse' shoe (Hoka Clifton) at a time and rotate them.

I'm currently running in Clifton 8s - one blue, one peach. I always buy different colours to differentiate them. Now I normally get a solid year/year and a half running in them but I've noticed that my peach pair, it's like running on concrete. My feet are so achy after running any sort of distance further than 5km. Could it be degradation (I bought them last Oct) or a bad production batch? I have no idea.
21 Aug
1:55pm, 21 Aug 2024
23,858 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I am questioning my sanity MrHSc, it took just over 10hr to do one loop last year, navigating, hills, getting lost, opening boxes and solving clues, fixing my blistered foot and we are hoping to do 2 loops this year - in the dark I suspect it could be a slower 2nd lap. But I will see on the day what happens hence 10 - 24. I have a 24hr run in November to tackle so its good training.

Went out this morning with my loaded backpack as I am 10 days away I better get used to carrying it.

To ask someone to give up a weekend to go on a daft adventure with me was fine when there was 2 of them, they'd have had a great time on their own, no doubt gone out and done something as well as looking for us on the course but for her (or OH) to be sat in a field/community building just waiting I wouldn't expect anyone to do it. I've stood her down, OH has said he'll come but I am going on my own. Just disappointed in my cousin who has changed the dynamics. You can tell I'm not needed for babysitting/support any more!
21 Aug
2:24pm, 21 Aug 2024
15,747 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Thanks for enquiring how Sarah is GG. I'm pleased to say that she is fine, and was one of the Wednesday Group in this mornings forest run.

Well done for yesterday's evening run, and strength work out.

I wish you all the best for the Berkeley, and hope that your dilemma sorts itself out!

Well done Steve for this mornings 4.7 miles, mainly on trails.

Well done MrHSc for yesterday's 6 and this mornings 9 miles.

This morning was a very hilly 5.25 miles forest run with the Wednesday Group, including 6 hill reps up "The Tyrol" We are making the most of the drier conditions, before conditions mean spending more time on roads.
21 Aug
3:49pm, 21 Aug 2024
23,860 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I really need to make the most of the woodland & fells as it wont be long before its too dark and wet again. I have just needed some runs to switch my brain off and not worry about tree roots and more technical stuff but tomorrow I am hitting the trails - that said its pouring down now!

Glad Sarah was ok and out running with you today and hill sessions - brilliant work.

The dilemma will be ok I am going solo, meeting friends there so I wont be alone and its a bbig ask for anyone to give up 24+hrs of their lives to be on their own (figuratively speaking)
22 Aug
9:02am, 22 Aug 2024
7,087 posts
  •  
steve45
It's worth reading about mid soles deterioration on some of the web sites on Google. I've found that lately some of the insoles/foot beds provided with the trainers have been of poorer quality than a few years ago. I bought a "decent" pair on Amazon to use in my Saucony shoes and it made a big difference. One never really knows about bad batches duo but a nuisance when a similar pair are so much better.
Great Wednesday training and a hard session hs, hills AND reps. Phew.
Glad you've made your decision gg. You have a lot of experience and miles done over the months so embrace that confidence!
Heavy drizzle and rain here this morning so it was a hilly road 5.1 miles for me, it was windy too but surprisingly enjoyable.
22 Aug
11:46am, 22 Aug 2024
15,756 posts
  •  
hillstrider
I hope that you managed to get out for a trail run this morning GG, and that it wasn't in heavy rain.

Thanks, Sarah was on fine form yesterday, pushing hard on the hill reps.

It's good that despite running solo during your epic challenge, you will be meeting friends there.

It's been interesting Steve, reading about the apparent deteriorating of trainers insoles/footbeds. It's something that I have never thought about before. I usually stop running in my trainers after about 500 miles, so perhaps that is before the insoles have started to deteriate. I seem to remember quite a long time ago that you said that you sometimes wore your trainers for up to 1,000 miles?

Thanks for your comments re my Wednesday training session. There were four of us, and we all worked very hard.

Well done for this mornings 5.1 miles hilly run on roads, in the wind and rain.

This morning was a solo 4 miles on roads, in very windy conditions. The rain held off, but it was very overcast. Its brightened up a bit now.
22 Aug
2:44pm, 22 Aug 2024
3,993 posts
  •  
Lesley C
Well done on your runs everyone. Sorry haven't posted for a few days. It's been busy.

I do have older running shoes in the house that I use on the rower, over 5 years old and seem fine. Maybe more modern trainers deteriorate quicker.

You will have a great time GG I know you will.

I did the clubs 5k handicap race on Tuesday, was a few secs off my predicted time. I did do 3 miles beforehand as I knew I wouldn't get much of a warmup.

6.5 miles this morning, it's so dark at 5.30am :-( autumn isn't far away.

Wee man had his first day of school yesterday, I enjoyed it I think although he didn't say much.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lesley C
Welcome to the thread :-) to be on target you need to run 19 Miles per week or 2.7 Miles per day.

Target list can be found here - fetcheveryone.com/training-mileagetargets-filtered.php?category=RUN&mileage=1000