1000 miles in 2024

2 lurkers | 59 watchers
Par by the end of today is 728.8
6 Jul
3:01am, 6 Jul 2024
16 posts
  •  
JackFW
@Donnie1 Donnie1 Donnie1 Donnie1 Donnie1 we are chasing the same dream, 3:59:59 in a Marathon in mid October.

In pursuit of that dream, I have been trying to pick up my pace during training runs. I did my fastest 10km today for a few years (50:58) with 2km warm down afterwards.

@Looby Loo agree on your sentiments but I think we sometimes forget how it’s being out there and finishing are the important part. The rest is a bonus. But certainly, sub 4hrs is often the weekend plodder’s holy grail in a marathon. I am no different.

@steve45 steve45 congrats on the 46 years. I hope I am lucky enough to come even close to you and @hillstrider.
6 Jul
11:04am, 6 Jul 2024
7,004 posts
  •  
steve45
Nah...4.03 doesn't sit the same as 3.59.03! Finishing is one thing but sometimes, in one's prime chasing a time and achieving it is something to remember? I was ( thoroughly past tense now) a time chaser because I could and looking back I'm glad I gave it my all.

Today I'm 75! Won't do fast times but can enjoy what I do do now (even though it's been a tough couple of years).
Ran/ walked 5k as my birthday celebration with my wife this morning and it was decidedly chilly.
6 Jul
11:28am, 6 Jul 2024
4,233 posts
  •  
Looby Loo
I know it doesn’t sit well but it’s 4 seconds over 4 hours it’s insane that we can be disappointed!
6 Jul
12:37pm, 6 Jul 2024
15,404 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Well done JackFW for your speedy 10k, followed by 2k warm down.

Happy birthday Steve, I can't believe that a year has flown by so quickly.

I was a time chaser too, whereas nowadays I'm concentrating on AG positions and WAVAS.

Well done for this mornings 5k walk/run with Torey.

This morning I ran in the Lymington Woodside parkrun in 29.32. I was a bit disappointed, as I ran it about 3 weeks ago about a minute quicker. It was very windy though, so I blame it on that. I was 87th out 171 finishers, and Ist AG 75-80 out of 5, with 68.00 WAVA.
6 Jul
1:01pm, 6 Jul 2024
12,151 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
Happy birthday @steve45 I'm surprised you didn't run 7.5k ;-)
6 Jul
1:46pm, 6 Jul 2024
3,923 posts
  •  
Lesley C
Happy birthday Steve!

I would love anywhere near a 4 hour marathon time but would also be disappointed with a few seconds over. Good luck with the next one Donnie.

Well done on your runs the past few days guys and happy anniversary to those of you celebrating.

I was out early on Thursday, cool but pleasant morning in the forest. 10k done.

Long run this morning, it was heavy rain through the night so lots of water sitting about. The rain stopped by the time I got to parkrun but my feet were already soaked. 10 miles done, happy enough with that.
6 Jul
3:25pm, 6 Jul 2024
15,407 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Well done for Thursdays 10k Lesley, and this mornings 10 miles including the parkrun.

It rained nearly all night, so I thought that the grass at the parkrun would be really wet and muddy. With this in mind, I decided to wear my trail shoes. A big mistake, the grass had dried out, so it was like running on tarmac. Additionally, there were a few tarmac paths which were still wet and very slippery. Rather dodgy with rubber spikes under foot
6 Jul
10:12pm, 6 Jul 2024
38 posts
  •  
Dubairunner
Happy birthday Steve!

I started running properly in 1988, was 10ks back then and was always focused on times. Was quite happy jogging along at 6 - 6.30 pace back then, if only now!!

Haven’t run a marathon since Jan 2020, was a 4.03 as a Comrades qualifier, Comrades was canned due Covid. There’s so few races here, 2 marathons a year and I’m signed up for Abu Dhabi in December, don’t really care about time, more important to enjoy it and feel good enough to run the next day.

Anyway just enjoy getting out there now!!
6 Jul
10:15pm, 6 Jul 2024
12 posts
  •  
MrM2
Happy birthday, Steve!
Could only manage 3 miles yesterday but got out for 7 miles this afternoon. Thought I'd avoided the rain...Wrong! The weeds along the 'footpaths' have been very responsive to all the recent rain! Should have worn 'legs'!
Quite a tough week, one way and another, so only 19 miles notched up. (Tomorrow does not look promising for any sort of run!?)

YTD: 0850 miles.
7 Jul
8:06am, 7 Jul 2024
10,318 posts
  •  
PeterFay
Belated happy birthday @steve45

(Still lurking on this thread although there's no hope of me reaching 1000 in 2024. 2025 ...?)
Well done on the 5k
Marshalling for St Magnus Marathon for me today.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lesley C
Welcome to the thread :-) to be on target you need to run 19 Miles per week or 2.7 Miles per day.

Target list can be found here - fetcheveryone.com/training-mileagetargets-filtered.php?category=RUN&mileage=1000