1000 miles in 2024

1 lurker | 59 watchers
Par by the end of today is 728.8
25 Jun
1:25pm, 25 Jun 2024
15,327 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Our posts crossed Steve, well done for this mornings 5k.
25 Jun
2:21pm, 25 Jun 2024
22,807 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
@MrM2 you click on the two 'pages' which copies as you know then paste in a new post which you are managing to do,

MrHSc wrote:Still have not figured out how to edit a post on my phone without creating loads of duplicates 😂

then at the end of the line click return and then you can write underneath it.
25 Jun
2:25pm, 25 Jun 2024
22,808 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
@steve45 I am definitely not a birder given how many new species I've discovered with the App haha. I always enjoy seeing them, sad that there is not the variety of smaller birds we used to have since Chris Packham has stopped farmers dealing with crows & magpies (we get a lot of small bird babies taken by magpies in and around our garden) they decimated a whole nest of blue tits a few years ago and last year I was on magpie watch when they were fledging again. But my inlaws get loads of birds in, but they have worked tirelessly to make it a safer space for them and not at easy for them to become prey.

so yes enjoying the app

well done on the runs guys.

to get your targets:

click on 'train'
then along to the right is 'targets' you can set your goals there.
25 Jun
2:26pm, 25 Jun 2024
22,809 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
oops, the link in the header is set at 1000 miles so you either need to set it at 1000 to see how you're doing in this group or you can change the mileage at the top drop down box and see where you are against a higher (or lower) target
25 Jun
4:05pm, 25 Jun 2024
3,899 posts
  •  
Lesley C
Well done on your runs this morning folks.

I was out this morning, it cooled a bit and after a mile the rain came on. It was very welcome and the temp came right down. Believe it or not it's 13 degrees outside this afternoon 😂. That's just how it is in Scotland!

Anyway I did my virtual mile (8 mins dead) and some 30 secs hills sprints. Was happy enough with that. I am on annual leave this week so can run when I want.

I have seen quite a few kites round here, a buzzard or two. Lots of little hedgerow birds. Lots of swallows flying about at the allotment. The wee man likes shouting 'pigeon' at pigeons to scare them off. We get a mix of birds in our garden too, there's magpies nesting in the garden next door and a black bird who sits and sings in the trees.
25 Jun
4:22pm, 25 Jun 2024
6,972 posts
  •  
steve45
Arghh gg...crows and magpies are not the culprits for songbird loss! Decimation of habitat, particularly in the UK by farmers, land owners and even private home/garden owners is one major reason. The other is the dramatic reduction in the number of insects now in the country side/ air everywhere: there has been a decline of 75% of total flying insect biomass in Germany in the last thirty years ( Halliman et al 2017) as an example and probably similar here in the UK. So a huge food source lost. Natural predation has always been dealt with but not the interference by us humans.
46 years ago when I began running there really was a greater chance of getting a fly or two in your mouth or some kind of insect bite!! 😂
25 Jun
4:38pm, 25 Jun 2024
22,812 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I will stand corrected steve, just from seeing first hand the predation from the magpies (particularly) and the extreme growth in their population. When we moved here 15yrs ago we had so many more song birds than we do now.

Sadly it is true that the more humans there are, houses are going up around us at the rate of knots, sadly the more wildlife is impacted and there is definitely not as many insects now, I remember not that many years ago a drive of anything over an hour the car needed washed now you rarely get a fly splatted on the windscreen.
26 Jun
2:05am, 26 Jun 2024
12,063 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
12 very warm miles ran yesterday morning. I hope to get a run in on Thursday but that will be the last until the second week of July as we're away again from Friday for 10 days.
Some great running as always and an excellent virtual mile from @Lesley C
26 Jun
7:32am, 26 Jun 2024
3,902 posts
  •  
Lesley C
geordiegirl wrote:Sadly it is true that the more humans there are, houses are going up around us at the rate of knots, sadly the more wildlife is impacted and there is definitely not as many insects now, I remember not that many years ago a drive of anything over an hour the car needed washed now you rarely get a fly splatted on the windscreen.

The same round here GG. We had a badger in the garden a few months ago that was probably finding somewhere to live after being evicted from the woods by the builders. Also true about the insects - you used to drive on a summer's day and bugs would constantly splat the windscreen, not like that now.

Well done on your miles FF, hope you have a good time when you are away.
26 Jun
8:45am, 26 Jun 2024
6,973 posts
  •  
steve45
There have been some specific studies done on insects/ car windscreen/ radiators which have been a good indicator of insect loss.
Never pleasant to see nature at its most cruel gg and such observations can make one's blood boil.

No insect breakfast or stings this morning along the trails! Did a 5k ( just 17c so comfortable) with my wife who had to endure my walk/run!!
I missed your virtual mile Lesley. Well done on that.
Great miles as generally usual FF, enjoy your time away.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lesley C
Welcome to the thread :-) to be on target you need to run 19 Miles per week or 2.7 Miles per day.

Target list can be found here - fetcheveryone.com/training-mileagetargets-filtered.php?category=RUN&mileage=1000