Threshold Improvement Plan - Anyone Fancy (Virtually) Joining Me

20 watchers
30 May
12:51pm, 30 May 2024
2,405 posts
  •  
Brunski
I guess my Monday run was slightly inspired by this thread.

I set out to do 1km on/float intervals.

I wanted to do 5 or 6 and was running solo, so I did:

4:51 WU (uphill)

3:34 on
4:05 float
3:36 on
4:05 float
3:29 on
4:36 4:28 (recovery)

3:28 on
4:33 (more recovery than float)

3:33 on

I tried to keep the ons at around current 5k goal pace, and set out to float around HM effort. Found it tough so stuck in a 2km recovery so u could still complete 5k worth of 'work'. The last 2km was slightly net downhill so definitely faded a bit but the effort felt about right.

Unfortunately since then I've had a slightly sore left knee and last night felt a bit flu-like :-(

I'll try and do a session like this most weeks ever the summer as I've dropped mileage since my spring marathon.
SPR
30 May
1:52pm, 30 May 2024
44,484 posts
  •  
SPR
I like that session concept Brunski, proper alternation as I discussed over the page. 1km is a long way though at 5km pace and HM is a fast float (your average pace would be rapid)!

Mine was steady rather than a race pace and average pace for 4 miles of 800/ 800 was still sub 6mm and I wouldn't have wanted to do more! Final progress would be to 900/700 or possibly 1000/600 but 900/700 was tough when I tried it.

Talking Kms though, I'm thinking of adding a road session at some point as spotted a session that Cairess did in the Canova summary I posted on the sub 3 thread where he was alternating above marathon pace with below marathon pace for about 20km.
SPR
30 May
5:52pm, 30 May 2024
44,489 posts
  •  
SPR
I think the thing to realise with that type of session is the float is part of the workout so the total volume has to include it and you don't deal with it the same way as 5 x 1000 at 5k pace with x recovery.

Here's a progression examples of 5000m specific endurance workouts for top down (distance first, then speed), bottom up (speed first, then distance), and alternations.

SPR
30 May
5:53pm, 30 May 2024
44,490 posts
  •  
SPR
That's from The Science of Running by Steve Magness
30 May
8:05pm, 30 May 2024
2,407 posts
  •  
Brunski
Thanks SPR, I was sort of tinkering around a bit on Monday, not quite sure what I'd do.

I'd usually do km repeats off a 2 minute easy jog/shuffle but wanted to try floating a bit to see if I could get more training effect in (as you say treating the floats as part of the session) I guess the offs were more HM/M pace and maybe floating at 4:15 to 4:20 would've been better to get a full 10k of on/off in.

Food for thought for next time 👍🏻
31 May
3:11am, 31 May 2024
2,234 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Interesting conversation that.

Another strides effort today. Tempo session tomorrow.
1 Jun
9:45am, 1 Jun 2024
5,032 posts
  •  
paulcook
3 weeks on from the first test, and another parkrun to see what/any progress. Was 45 seconds faster though I'm not convinced how much of that was down to training progress and how much was less fatigue 2 weeks after an ultra. Mind, I didn't want to particularly go this morning after illness last week or so. So I'll take the 45 seconds progress for what it is.
1 Jun
10:23am, 1 Jun 2024
2,238 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
A sub 20 5k, not to be sniffed at all paulcook.

I did a 12k tempo in my 14k total today. It was hard. But a reasonable pace for keeping it zone 3.
1 Jun
10:57am, 1 Jun 2024
5,033 posts
  •  
paulcook
Thank you Mark. After a decent interval session the other night where the 10k pace especially felt reasonable, I was struggling to hold it today. Though at least the pace was consistent throughout.

It's why I prefer ultras. Much less pain!
1 Jun
12:19pm, 1 Jun 2024
2,239 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Good video from Scully here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0BzhapVX5Y&ab_channel=StephenScullion-Olympicmarathoner

About This Thread

Maintained by Mark J 🇳🇿
Following some discussion with the Coros coaching team, Iʻve decided to to try and improve my 5k time and general threshold pace. The ultimate target is to improve on my distance running but it starts with being able to hold a solid threshold pace. So, Iʻm going to be starting an 8 week, threshold improvement plan from the 27th of May. I wondered if anyone fancied running along with me, virtually.

Coros original plan: training.coros.com

My version of the plan: fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=969

Cleaner kms version: fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=970

*Please read the disclaimer on page 2 before following along.