Threshold Improvement Plan - Anyone Fancy (Virtually) Joining Me

20 watchers
22 May
10:38pm, 22 May 2024
2,205 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Good VO2 session this morning before work - Either hit at the top of target, or just above for each repeat. Although definitely a stretch for the last two repeats, really happy with the overall results of that one.
22 May
10:46pm, 22 May 2024
4,888 posts
  •  
paulcook
Well done Mark. Hitting any markers is sometimes all you can do and then running the races you've trained for, not the ones you wished you'd trained for.
25 May
1:12am, 25 May 2024
2,209 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Did my first progressive session from the plan this morning. Adjusted slightly in terms of length, just because I went out a little further than expected but a very enjoyable session.

Warm up. 5k Aerobic Endurance, 3k Aerobic Power, 3k Threshold. Cool down.

Felt nice and comfortable at all paces and hit targets. I think I could have upped the efforts a tad for the two 3km reps, without too much additional effort or load. Perhaps I'll adjust on the next one of these and see how we go.
26 May
12:41am, 26 May 2024
2,212 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Ending week 1 of 8 the same way it started. A nice pleasant 8k easy plod.
26 May
1:08am, 26 May 2024
4,948 posts
  •  
paulcook
Haven't run since Tuesday's intervals until tonight due to some cold like symptoms. Though at least I managed a hill tempo run of sorts tonight. One of those where I have no time in mind, trying by effort rather than anything else. No idea how good, bad or ugly it is as a result.
28 May
4:33am, 28 May 2024
2,222 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Week 2 and we're off again. 8k with Strides

Straight forward session today with no issues in terms of pacing etc. But my legs may be thinking otherwise this week. Generally falling apart :) Not related to this plan, i don't think. Just general wear and tare.
29 May
10:31am, 29 May 2024
2,224 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Tweaking my sessions a little now as I'm kind of using this training for a half marathon crack as well as the threshold improvement. I'm sticking pretty much to the speed sessions but adding in small amounts of additional mileage where I can, to ensure that I'm able to comfortably manage the half distance.

Today's session - 13k Threshold Intervals (Should have been 12 but I miscalculated by a km)

5 x 1k at threshold pace @181bpm with 400m recoveries

Harder session this evening, mainly due to having to try and squeeze this one in before going out for curry. Mmmm curry!!
29 May
10:37pm, 29 May 2024
5,004 posts
  •  
paulcook
After last week's successful split paces, did 6 x 800m at alternating 10k / 5k PB paces. 10k felt pretty comfortable though when I turned for the 5k rep into a wind I realised why haha!!

Just about held it together for the target paces.
30 May
12:26am, 30 May 2024
2,227 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Nice, paulcook. I had a similar experience on turning into the wind for my last rep. Great isn't it.
30 May
10:43am, 30 May 2024
5,008 posts
  •  
paulcook
At least it wasn't a strong wind. Though flipping between 10k and 5k paces it didn't put a smile on my face!!!

About This Thread

Following some discussion with the Coros coaching team, Iʻve decided to to try and improve my 5k time and general threshold pace. The ultimate target is to improve on my distance running but it starts with being able to hold a solid threshold pace. So, Iʻm going to be starting an 8 week, threshold improvement plan from the 27th of May. I wondered if anyone fancied running along with me, virtually.

Coros original plan: training.coros.com

My version of the plan: fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=969

Cleaner kms version: fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=970

*Please read the disclaimer on page 2 before following along.