•  
paulcook
Some very interesting thoughts there.
1 Jun
1:20pm, 1 Jun 2024
3,754 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Mark J 🇳🇿 wrote:Good video from Scully here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0BzhapVX5Y&ab_channel=StephenScullion-Olympicmarathoner

Damn, I run to slow…
:)
Maybe one should do some more 5k efforts and so on. But I’m always scared of the strain it puts on the body.
I really don’t want to get hurt.
So I don’t do this really hard stuff often.
Maybe I’m missing out on something.
1 Jun
1:53pm, 1 Jun 2024
282 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
Can too much treshold make you slower ?

Just my humble opinion, but he probably did them too hard, which leads to burnout and overtraining.

Ingebrigtsen + Nordas + Gustav Iden +Blummenthal versus Scully, who do you think is more likely to know the answer ?
SPR
1 Jun
1:58pm, 1 Jun 2024
44,520 posts
  •  
SPR
His point probably stands for those runners though as they do more than threshold especially as 1500 runners! Although I think it may be more about varied pace, than making the work hard or VO2 Max (the science shows VO2 Max doesn't change much in trained runners but that doesn't mean that pace doesn't have other benefits).

I agree with your point about it being potentially too hard though (eg as a continuous paced run Vs repetitions).
1 Jun
2:13pm, 1 Jun 2024
283 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
Is a very important to run SUB threshold, not AT threshold.

There's a great topic on Letsrun.com about the Norwegian method for lower mileage runners, where they discuss this.

There's a Brit (Sirpoc), a former TT cyclist, who has great success with this "amateur version" of the Norwegian method. And this guy does zero V02max, only easy runs and a lot of (sub)threshold.
The guy went from 18:50 5k to 17:30 and then started the thread. Over 10 months he has now progressed to 15:30.

All he does is 3 subtreshold workouts alternating with easy runs and one long run of 90 minutes. Very monotonous training, no VO2max, no strides or hill repeats, just running 7-8 hours per week alternating between easy runs and threshold runs.

Other people have copied his approach with significant improvement.
1 Jun
2:33pm, 1 Jun 2024
5,037 posts
  •  
paulcook
In terms of Ingebrigsten aren’t there some current doubts about whether his double threshold days are really working? I will admit that I’ve only come across some (clickbait?) headlines than actually read / seen any specific details.

With all training though, this and Scully above, we all react and adapt differently. And it’s impossible to compare two identical training programmes given all training sits in with the other 20+ hours of our daily lives.

Like my biggest fall down is a lack of sleep.
SPR
3 Jun
7:41pm, 3 Jun 2024
44,552 posts
  •  
SPR
Since we discussed Ingebrigtsen training earlier, I'm currently watching this.

https://youtu.be/F9JJCxZz0tc?si=Xf9nphIT5onHC67X

He says he doesn't do this session that often but it's 12 x 400 @ threshold plus (60 secs rest), then 10 x 200 @ 1500 race pace (200 jog ~ 90 secs).

400 average was below 63 secs I think which is a few seconds over 13 mins for 5000 so pretty rapid and it was windy!
3 Jun
8:55pm, 3 Jun 2024
2,240 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Oo I'll take a look at this shortly
3 Jun
9:07pm, 3 Jun 2024
284 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
Let's not forget he does this on top of a lot of easy running.
3 Jun
9:12pm, 3 Jun 2024
5,078 posts
  •  
paulcook
For us slower folk, I also found this interesting. Ben doesn't come across as some of the running YouTubers so find him good to listen to. Plus, he made me feel better about my age!!

I might actually get a Lactate Threshold test on the back, FWIW, especially since I think I found a local free testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp0cIW5I2go

About This Thread

Following some discussion with the Coros coaching team, Iʻve decided to to try and improve my 5k time and general threshold pace. The ultimate target is to improve on my distance running but it starts with being able to hold a solid threshold pace. So, Iʻm going to be starting an 8 week, threshold improvement plan from the 27th of May. I wondered if anyone fancied running along with me, virtually.

Coros original plan: training.coros.com

My version of the plan: fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=969

Cleaner kms version: fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=970

*Please read the disclaimer on page 2 before following along.