•  
Ocelot Spleens
No I haven't. Can't say I'm interested.
Feb 2022
10:38pm, 8 Feb 2022
9,268 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I have tried the Guinness 0%. I am not usually a Guinness drinker anyway but I thought it was OK. It improved if you mix it half and half with 0% Guinness and 'normal' Guinness in my opinion though
Feb 2022
11:33pm, 8 Feb 2022
24,572 posts
  •  
Dvorak
(Improved further if it's 5%/ 95% I expect ;-) . In n/a beers I reckoned Bavaria Wit and Cobra were ok. Erdinger Dunkel n/a also did as a "sports drink" when it was free after a HM I ran. I also had a couple of ok ones recently from Home Bargains (name escapes me). They were 25p a can, which I reckon is a reasonable price for an n/a beer.)
Feb 2022
7:45am, 9 Feb 2022
1,052 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
Couple to add to my list:

- Grimbergen "Optimo Bruno" - 10% dark abbey beer.

- Erdinger "Dunkel" - 5.3%, Your classic Bavarian dark beer.

- Achel "Bruin" - 8.0%, dark but with a bit of sweetness to it.

- Boon "Geuze Mariage Parfait", 2017 vintaeg - 8.0%, a very drinkable Geuze, nice and sour, lot of sediment in the bottle to watch for.

And in the non-alcoholic camp:

- Force Majeure "Bruin" - 0.4%, Got some depth to it for a non alcoholic beer, caramel and spices.

- Force Majeure "Triple Hop" - 0.4%, not a bad impression of a triple, plenty of hops with a decent after taste.

Think that takes me to 27 so far, though I think I have missed one along the way...
Feb 2022
7:56am, 9 Feb 2022
1,053 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
And considering we were at the Achel abbey buying beer, some photos...

Part of the brewery is viewable behind glass in the Cafe

And they have a shop selling beer (and more beside what you can see here) as well as large amounts of religious tat... Almost every beer is available by the bottle or the crate, and most have the correct branded glass alongside as well.

Technically the beer is not a "Trappist" beer anymore, the last 2 monks moved out in 2021 and moved to the Westmalle Abbey that they were part of. The Abbot of Westmalle still visits every week to supervise the brewing, but under the strict rules it is not an "Authentic Trappist" beer anymore.

Originally they started brewing in the 1850s, but during the first world war the abbey was taken over by the Germans who stripped out all the equipment for the copper, and the Monks only started back up again in the 1990s.
Feb 2022
9:17am, 9 Feb 2022
33,102 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Very good.
Feb 2022
7:11pm, 9 Feb 2022
251 posts
  •  
Hertford Tiger
No 27 was a can of Hazy IPA from Four pure, a bit dull.
No 28 was a can of gun totting nano penguin peach Pale ale from Drygate in Glasgow which must take the prize for the most ridiculous name. Actual not a bad drink if you like fruity ipas

No 29 was a cask Tim Taylor’s Landlord (always a good pint)
Feb 2022
11:11pm, 9 Feb 2022
27,523 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
Castle Rock Crafty Flanker
Feb 2022
5:52pm, 10 Feb 2022
253 posts
  •  
Hertford Tiger
30 is a bottle of Weizen from windswept brewing from Lossiemouth. Very good. I do recommend if you like wheat beers
Feb 2022
9:54pm, 10 Feb 2022
8,461 posts
  •  
57.5 Days of Pain
Thanks for the tip HT. Didn't know Windswept did a Weizen. Got a bit out of touch with the local breweries over Covid.

I can report that Lossie will have been extremely Windswept in the last few days.

About This Thread

Maintained by Ocelot Spleens
and here we are in 2024....

I still really like a pint.

I think this is not too controversial health wise. Lots of beers about these days. I interpret it as different beers within 2023, and you can, if you like; avoid beers you have had before, but as ever the list is yours to do what you like.