The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
Dec 2021
12:42pm, 13 Dec 2021
4,811 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
The pumas are impossible to buy anywhere, hence no-one talking about them I guess.

If you check an earlier video on here from that Denver shoe convention - they're bringing out a new top racer the Fast-R, but have said they will be continuing the Deviate Nitro Elite and it will be widely available at some point next year
jda
Dec 2021
12:45pm, 13 Dec 2021
11,419 posts
  •  
jda
I doubt very much that sitting in the box in reasonably ambient conditions would lead to any significant degradation over a few months to a year or two. Eventually ozone and UV can attack many plastics especially if the temperature is a bit high.
Dec 2021
1:00pm, 13 Dec 2021
5,312 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
totally agree jda - I have heard this argument about degradation of the foam over time even without use but my understanding of polymer chem is that is really unlikely in ambient conditions. I just can't see it.

great time at the 10k btw. You went out with purpose given your relative lack of prep - must show that you have some confidence and fill you with even more as you get ready for Mcr. Nice one.
Dec 2021
1:12pm, 13 Dec 2021
581 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Foam degradation might occur with use (I don't mean turning your VF into tramp shoes after 900 miles as per recent pictures, less extreme than that) or just over time.

I'm not on any side of the fence at the moment, but I do run in a box fresh pair for an A race, and wear older versions for B/C races. Which confounds my results because I'm not in the same shape each time.

A better test might be regular parkruns with same course/similar conditions and testing different shoes but I don't have time.
SPR
Dec 2021
1:17pm, 13 Dec 2021
35,974 posts
  •  
SPR
If talking with use, labrat has done a bit on this. They're still pretty close to new but a new pair for an A race makes some sense
Dec 2021
1:33pm, 13 Dec 2021
5,313 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
fuzzy - yep, I think it's quite a hard experiment to control given all the variables!

If I could then I'd no doubt crack open a new pair for each A race.

That said, I think I do need to run in the AF once before racing in them. They appear to be quite different again!
jda
Dec 2021
1:55pm, 13 Dec 2021
11,420 posts
  •  
jda
I did quite a lot of running in my original VF before I decided they were a bit soft. There's no doubt they have lost a lot of their snap now. I think 3 marathons, a bit more than the same again in assorted shorter warm-up races, and another fair chunk in some training runs. 500km ish?

Sole surface is still in good shape, I obviously run quite lightly in them from that perspective, but I'm over 80kg and they've had a lot of compression cycles.
Dec 2021
1:57pm, 13 Dec 2021
582 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
SPR I'd stopped using Instagram and forgotten about that guy!

Can see he has recently studied the uphill/downhill effect and seems to agree with my guess (but only small effect from his data)

IG @labratrundown if anyone is interested
Dec 2021
2:38pm, 16 Dec 2021
470 posts
  •  
Minimag
I went a bit mad and ordered a pair of Adidas Adizero Pro (the original ones) that had been reduced to £98, and a pair of Saucony Endorphin speed that I saw on ebay for £60.
I will try the Adidas at parkrun on Saturday, and the Saucony the following week.
I will also get the vaporfly at some point - either when they are reduced, or using the Nike birthday code in January
SPR
Dec 2021
3:18pm, 16 Dec 2021
36,006 posts
  •  
SPR
I guess those are normal and cheap trainer prices (now at least) so decent minimag

I don't have any of these shoes but if someone asked me, I'd say go for Nike unless there's a specific reason not to. The Nikes are proven and everyone else is using the evidence that the Nikes work to sell their expensive shoes.

The new Adidas do have some evidence among the elite and Asics Metaspeed(?) have at least one study that backs them so possible alternatives that work.

Every other brand/ model; pinch of salt.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org