The Munros - Complete Rounds, Ramsay Rounds, Day Trips

1 lurker | 45 watchers
3 Jun
8:03pm, 3 Jun 2024
16,131 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Great pics halfpint, are those hills near where your live?

We were very lucky with the weather, and no midgies, which made for a memorable weekend in the Cairngorms. Although getting on the bike again after the walk was a tad sore on my bum. I hadn't cycled since the last time we cycled to Derry Lodge nearly 2 years ago! We climbed Derry Cairngorm and Beinn Mheadhoin on Saturday then drove up to Glenmore to spend the night in the van. Climbed Bynack More yesterday, and this time ran downhill for some whw training on tired legs.

Loch Etchachan:

Beinn Mheadhoin:

I was a total wuss getting down from that huge tor, it was much easier to climb up than get down when your legs are as short as mine.

On Bynack More we met a man who chatted to us about Munro climbing, he'd finished the round many years ago and it was good to see someone that age still out on the hills. I'd guess he was late 70s. He told us he'd met a well known munroist called Miles Hutchinson several years ago who was on the SMC list at number 23. I looked him up last night, he certainly climbed a few hills 😀.
3 Jun
8:12pm, 3 Jun 2024
41,270 posts
  •  
halfpint
Great photos MrsS. It was a cracking weekend to be out in the Cairngorms. I was out on the bike Aboyne way.

The hills I posted are about 45 mins away. We’re pretty lucky here. There’s plenty within an hour or so.
3 Jun
8:14pm, 3 Jun 2024
16,132 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Also it was surprisingly quiet on that route on Saturday which surprised us. But we did meet a couple with 3 dogs including a wee Pomeranian which impressed me, was a ball of fluff with tiny legs but was managing fine.
3 Jun
8:18pm, 3 Jun 2024
16,133 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
45 minutes, you are lucky! Linn of Dee is 1h 30m from us and that's our closest to hills we haven't climbed yet. And the shortest walk left is 18 miles. Nothing short within 3 hours of us now, I need to move house 😉.
3 Jun
8:43pm, 3 Jun 2024
18,732 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
mrs shanksi wrote:45 minutes, you are lucky! Linn of Dee is 1h 30m from us and that's our closest to hills we haven't climbed yet. And the shortest walk left is 18 miles. Nothing short within 3 hours of us now, I need to move house 😉.
I spent quite a few years living in East Anglia. Count yourselves lucky!
3 Jun
8:49pm, 3 Jun 2024
16,134 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Haha 57.5 DoP, I know I am lucky really. Fenners commented on my FB post about it, saying he was jealous, the Fens are not known for their mountains!
4 Jun
8:14am, 4 Jun 2024
41,272 posts
  •  
halfpint
We’ve picked off a lot of the stuff within striking distance but there’s still loads to do. I’ll need to get over your side of the Cairngorms more though.
4 Jun
8:54am, 4 Jun 2024
5,725 posts
  •  
Ally-C
I’ve got Ben Ledi half an hour away if I’m looking for a wee leg stretch 😀
4 Jun
9:40am, 4 Jun 2024
449 posts
  •  
SimonF
We were up this weekend staying in Spean Bridge for my wife to attempt the Charlie Ramsay Round of Munros. This was the last of the four UK big mountain 24 hour challenges for her to complete.

The weather window was perfect and she had a small but very experienced set of support runners (which obviously didn't include me :) ). She finished just before midnight on Saturday in 23hr16min.

The picture is on CMD heading towards the Ben which was her last peak.

4 Jun
9:44am, 4 Jun 2024
5,085 posts
  •  
paulcook
Well done. Can't be many done sub 24 for the Ramsay, never mind all 4. If you told me she was the first I don't think I'd be too surprised.

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
Somewhere to talk about and follow any Complete round attempts, Ramsay Rounds, to discuss and ask advice on day trips that you're planning, and anything else Munros related.

Jamie Aaron's tracker - completed in new record of 31d 10h 27m
geotracks.co.uk

About Jamie's challenge
jamiesmunrochallenge.run

Link to Donnie Campbell's tracker for his record breaking munro round - 31d 23h 2m
live.opentracking.co.uk

Ramsay Round ramsaysround.co.uk