Stanley Tucci - Taste - March 2023 Book Group discussion thread

10 watchers
Mar 2023
9:14am, 19 Mar 2023
28,124 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I think it was quite boring Linds, i was just relieved it wasnt difficult to read. What i most enjoyed, in a “do not relate” way, was his mum telling him to go next door if he didnt like the cooking. I cant imagine what that must feel like. If they are happy to make child pasta, peas and cheese she would go next door and never come back, she would not be eating any of the stuff he describes in his sandwiches.
Mar 2023
3:58pm, 26 Mar 2023
13,461 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
This book was a Christmas gift and not something I would normally pick up. I mostly enjoyed the snippets of his life, he's got quite a dry sense of humour and I like his writing style.

I liked learning about his upbringing and his family but I wasn't that bothered about the recipes. I love pasta but I don't do minimalist ingredients so I probably won't try any of them. Also I'm not buying specific pasta shapes, it's just going to be what's the cupboard. Sorry, not sorry Italian people!

By about 2/3 through it started to drag a bit and I was reminded of the relentlessly middle-class sketches in The Fast Show that ended with Mark Williams saying "which was nice" However the chapters on lockdown and his cancer experience gave it a better ending than I was expecting. It gave some perspective on why he wrote it for me, obviously if you nearly die and have months of not being able to eat and/or taste food will become incredibly important. I did like the very last chapter of him talking to his son which brought it back full circle to his mother doing the same to him.

A worthwhile read for me although not a classic, I'm going to give it a 6.

Off to read the other reviews, hope nobody is cursing me for choosing it ;-)
Mar 2023
4:03pm, 26 Mar 2023
13,462 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Well, that was interesting! :-)

I think you need to choose the next book Ocelot Spleens
Mar 2023
4:39pm, 26 Mar 2023
36,739 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
I don't think so, my favourite book of the last couple of years was a statistical analysis of T20 and 50 over cricket, probably a bit dry for most.

It sounds a shame though as his food tour TV thing of Italy was quite good in places.
Apr 2023
2:37pm, 2 Apr 2023
46,940 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Finally finished Taste.
I started it with great enthusiasm which waned a little just after half way through as it started to drag a bit and I was less keen to pick it up. That said, I'm really glad I persevered. The last few chapters were a lot more interesting. I didn't know about his recent brush with cancer, for example.
Really glad I read it. Nice to have something different :-)
Jun 2023
8:45am, 12 Jun 2023
7,407 posts
  •  
westmoors
Didn't have a clue who Stanley Tucci is and not sure I do now! I persevered and made it to the end. To be honest, all I can remember about it are the recipes (which I didn't read) and his cancer. Gave it a 3 as I really didn't enjoy it.
Aug 2023
9:34am, 28 Aug 2023
37,876 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
I am reading this. Found tucked away in one of those book dump cupboard things, free so worth it. I might write an opposite book, what with being fed stuff like Findus Crispy Pancakes, tins of Big Soup, fish fingers followed by Viennetta.
Aug 2023
10:03am, 28 Aug 2023
63,561 posts
  •  
LindsD
I think Nigel Slater has already done that :)
Aug 2023
12:55pm, 28 Aug 2023
13,756 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
We had 70s retro puddings last month - chocolate angel delight with sliced tinned peaches & fruit cocktail with condensed milk. Definitely a rush of nostalgia and not bad as an emergency dessert :-)
Aug 2023
1:12pm, 28 Aug 2023
63,564 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yum

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Me, I'm Tucci, Tucci you
Me, I'm Tucci, and you know what to do
Me, I'm Tucci, Tucci, Tucci you
Me, I'm Tucci, and you know what to do

So sang the great Norwegian philosopher Morten Harket in 1988. Was he thinking of American actor, author and icon, Stanley Tucci? We may never know because his record company wouldn't answer my emails on the subject.

Now, judge for yourself by reading and/or licking Mr Tucci's tome for yourself.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 113,145 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here