So who won the tour from 1999 to 2005

6 lurkers | 80 watchers
Mar 2018
8:53am, 9 Mar 2018
15,110 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
The fact that something doesn't give the expected benefit, doesn't mean that a competitive sportsman won't take it just in case it does.

If nothing else, they gain the psychological benefit of having taken it whether it works or not.
Mar 2018
11:08am, 9 Mar 2018
37,931 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I once had a delightful medical student whose other job was being an Olympic athlete. We got talking in the group about sports supplements and he listed what he took - a prodigious quantity of substances of unproven or even disproven value. "You don't dare not to take what everyone else is taking just in case it will give you one-hundredth of a second of an edge," he said.

And when I had the opportunity to pose a question about supplements via RW, Paula Radcliffe's response was, "I take what everyone else takes." Paul Tergat said, "If other people want to take them, that's OK, but I don't take any."
SPR
Mar 2018
9:05am, 15 Mar 2018
25,661 posts
  •  
SPR
A blog by Inrng on TUE reform: inrng.com
Mar 2018
10:07am, 15 Mar 2018
12,366 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Good blog... I also like the first comment in it which quotes Ross Tucker:

"Ross Tucker’s Four Minute Mull (E11) said it best “doping” these days has been replaced by extralegal supplementation. Same result, just a more tedious route to get there."
Mar 2018
10:39am, 15 Mar 2018
4,149 posts
  •  
larkim
Though that flies in the face of the evidence of how many TUEs are actually in place.
Mar 2018
12:16pm, 15 Mar 2018
12,368 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Extralegal supplementation doesn't have to equal TUE. You don't need a TUE for many of these things taken out of competiton.
Mar 2018
12:20pm, 15 Mar 2018
4,150 posts
  •  
larkim
I don't see why or how its tedious as a route unless he's thinking of TUEs. If you're just taking legal supplements (or legal OOC drugs) you just take them - hence me concluding I think he's referring to TUEs in that comment.

Interesting points generally about corticosteroids though. Over to WADA to solve that one I think.
Mar 2018
3:14pm, 15 Mar 2018
12,369 posts
  •  
Chrisull
But legal supplements aren't obviousl legal. Hence the Scottish skier Alain Baxter taking a decongestant and losing his medal because of it, unless you think he cheated?

There isn't a clear set of instructions. You take your medication/supplement, but you have to know which ingredients are always kosher, which are kosher out of competition, but not in unless with a TUE, and which ingredients are never kosher. Next year caffeine could be banned. Are you confident you wouldn't fail such a drugs test larks?
Mar 2018
3:35pm, 15 Mar 2018
4,156 posts
  •  
larkim
Baxter isn't a good example, tbh - that wasn't intentional supplementation, it was deliberate medication in the way he'd done at home, and he was just unstuck because the local variant had banned substances in it.

But in terms of knowing what's going into your body, that's true whether you're taking something marketed as a supplement or medicine or just a high street purchase.

I'm reasonably confident I've always raced clean - I did have a momentary doubt that the Lemsip max strength that I'd had before a 10 mile race a few years ago with pseudoephedrine in it might be banned, but I checked Global DRO and discovered it's legal. But I can't be sure. But then I'm not an elite athlete under whereabouts rules.

I do think its right to warn athletes that if they are taking complex supplements which have lots of fancy sounding ingredients they need to exercise caution. But it is their job to be on top of this (and their coaches too).

But as science gets better, coaches are getting a much better insight into what phsyiological and chemical changes are needed to promote high performance in athletes. So if, for example, testosterone levels have been raised naturally in the past through diet and exercise regimes, why not focus the diet to eek out further natural gains?

OTOH, I do think that there's a lot of snake oil around too.
Mar 2018
3:44pm, 15 Mar 2018
4,157 posts
  •  
larkim
Impressed that BBC news still has contemporaneous articles about Baxter from 2002 available.

news.bbc.co.uk

It does show he was actually being careful even back that - just had one oversight.

About This Thread

Maintained by fitzer
Given that Lance's wins now don't count.