Scottish Runners 2016

1 lurker | 64 watchers
May 2016
10:01am, 2 May 2016
8,144 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I think it is good that the Glasgow Parkruns are happening in the less salubrious parts of the City and not just in the leafy suburbs. Roll on Wester Hailes Parkrun
May 2016
10:40am, 2 May 2016
11,704 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Some info is sprung: Official start appears to be 4th June, location Garscadden Woods (which plainly are not in Garscadden). Or to describe the location another way, to the south of Bearsden Golf Course. So equally accessible for The Toffs and The Tuffs ;-).
May 2016
11:06am, 2 May 2016
11,705 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Wester Hailes parkrun, you say, SoaPM? Especially given the lack of larger open spaces in Edinburgh which are not golf courses, you could be on to something.

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/route-1759360
May 2016
12:54pm, 2 May 2016
216 posts
  •  
Ulric
I cycle over Balgrayhill regularly but my experiences of doing that haven't spurred me to try a parkrun there ;-)
May 2016
11:18pm, 2 May 2016
2,964 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
You should Ulrich. I grew up a couple of miles away and didn't find out what a great park it was till a rival cricket team started to play there 30 years ago. Would have been very impressive back in the day with the Winter Gardens and a lot more big villas around it. Apparently the stones which formed a terrace in the garden of the house I grew up in came from some imposing Victorian houses demolished when the flats on Balgrayhill Road were build. Weegies were invited to come and take stone away from the demolition site.

I still think Springburn is more reliable for a fast run than Victoria. It has that hill, but nowhere where you would get slowed by dog walkers and passers by. I really enjoy both Springburn and Tollcross as friendly small events, now that my regular venues get a larger turnout.
May 2016
8:35am, 3 May 2016
27,298 posts
  •  
Old Croc
entrycentral.com nearly closing time for online entries for the Benromach 10k on Saturday
May 2016
9:04pm, 3 May 2016
27,308 posts
  •  
Old Croc
boing for Benromach 10k - entries close tonight.
May 2016
11:49am, 9 May 2016
25,630 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Is anyone doing this new Glasgow Clyde marathon Aug 28? Only 100 places and it's full already. Interesting one - from Cambuslang to Dumbarton through middle of Glasgow. 8 road crossings, not closed, middle of the day. Wonder if they'll have marshals in city centre? Hope it goes well. :-) G
May 2016
12:41pm, 9 May 2016
219 posts
  •  
Ulric
Interesting, is it really 8 actually over roads as opposed to under them? I can see one over Argyle St just by the museum which could mean a wait. One coming out of Glasgow Green another familiar wait. Not sure if I can remember any before Glasgow Green, quite often used to ride my bike out to where it starts. One possibly at Dalmuir. One by Bowling. The rest are between Bowling and Dumbarton it seems. They should run it the other way, plus you'd have the wind behind you then ;-)
May 2016
12:43pm, 9 May 2016
9,744 posts
  •  
Star
I didn't enter but know a lot that did. Hopefully I'll get down to spectate or marshall. Maybe you could suggest they change direction each year Ulric.

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
Somewhere to blether about all things to do with Scottish running and races.

There are 26 regular parkruns in Scotland which are held every Saturday at 9:30am.

Current locations are Aberdeen, Ayr, Camperdown, Drumchapel, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Eglinton, Elgin, Ellon, Falkirk, Ganavan Sands, Greenock, Hazelhead, Inverness, Kirkcaldy, Linwood, Livingston, Perth, Pollock, Portobello, Springburn, St Andrews, Stonehaven, Strathclyde, Tollcross and Victoria.

parkrun.org.uk