Scottish Runners 2016

64 watchers
Jan 2016
8:34pm, 5 Jan 2016
2,416 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Sunbed Athlete has been competitive at national.level within age category across all distances from 5k to marathon for a.few years now K5 Gus
Jan 2016
8:35pm, 5 Jan 2016
2,417 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Donran I don't see the African nations making their national championships race London, or the Americans, Brasilia so etc etc.
Jan 2016
8:38pm, 5 Jan 2016
9,416 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
HT, not quite allhaving gained the qualifier alreadt, only two Brits, one a scot have the standard as we speak and the team is selected the day after London and IIRC the first Brit is guaranteed selection if they also have or run the qualifier. I would expect at least one other SCot to be at London with a decent shot at anolympic qualifier and possibly two or three. There is no way that a spring marathon in Scotland would attract our best marathoners. The alternative would be Autumn, which pretty much means Loch Ness, but that will be too soon after Rio if anyof our top guys ran there.

At the end of the day its a tricky situation with no right or wrong answer and they would be up for criticism whatever they did.

I guess what needs to be clarified, is it to find our best marathoner or is it to find one of the best from the sub elite scene.
Jan 2016
8:47pm, 5 Jan 2016
2,418 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
That just confirms our small thinking really Bazoaxe.

Olympics are not.a surprise event, we have plenty time to prepare for.them and if we are unable to have a race good enough for.our primadona athletes at the (mildly) sharp.end then either Scotland is not.thinking high enough or the handful.at the top.are kidding themselves on thinking they are too good to run in Scotland.
It's generally thought that for most there is one or max two all out top performances in a year at marathon.

Having one of them in London isn't likely.to be conducive to having another in Rio.
Is the national championships now an event for a handful of people?
What about all the age category folks that pay their club dues just the same?
Jan 2016
8:50pm, 5 Jan 2016
2,419 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Who has won it say the last ten years?
Jan 2016
8:59pm, 5 Jan 2016
9,417 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
of course we are also mixed up here in that the olympic team is british but we are talking scottish national championships

I like the American approach of a trial race in Feb where the top 3 with the qualifier get selected and then have plenty time to recover and prepare which arguably April-August doesnt properlyallow.
Jan 2016
8:59pm, 5 Jan 2016
9,418 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
of course we are also mixed up here in that the olympic team is british but we are talking scottish national championships

I like the American approach of a trial race in Feb where the top 3 with the qualifier get selected and then have plenty time to recover and prepare which arguably April-August doesnt properlyallow.
Jan 2016
9:02pm, 5 Jan 2016
9,419 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
unfortunately though we couldnt get enough brits, far less scots to have a competitive olympic trials race as I think we only have 4 guys still running who have ever recorded the current qualifier. One of them is Farah who wont be targetting the marathon and another, Thomson, is likely to be injured. Therefore that leaves you with Overall, Hawkins x 2 and possibly lemoncello although at least 1 and possibly 2 of them still have fitness to prove as well
Jan 2016
9:21pm, 5 Jan 2016
2,723 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
We also have only two events which have any real profile at all in Edinburgh and the perennial Scottish Championship race at Loch Ness. And proud as I am that the 2015 Scottish Marathon podium featured two of my clubmates in 2nd and 3rd (plus I work with the winner's girlfriend's mum!), they are not threatening any elites with times around the 2.30 mark.
Jan 2016
9:26pm, 5 Jan 2016
9,420 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
HT. You will also find tgats it's not unheard of for Kenyan or Ethiopian championships or qualifiers to ge run elsewhere. I am sure there have been occasions in London and also shorter distances like 10000 metres in hengelo holland and Eugene USA

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
Somewhere to blether about all things to do with Scottish running and races.

There are 26 regular parkruns in Scotland which are held every Saturday at 9:30am.

Current locations are Aberdeen, Ayr, Camperdown, Drumchapel, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Eglinton, Elgin, Ellon, Falkirk, Ganavan Sands, Greenock, Hazelhead, Inverness, Kirkcaldy, Linwood, Livingston, Perth, Pollock, Portobello, Springburn, St Andrews, Stonehaven, Strathclyde, Tollcross and Victoria.

parkrun.org.uk