Scotland based runs & runners

8 lurkers | 87 watchers
28 Jul
5:36pm, 28 Jul 2024
6,019 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Did a wee trail race near Ullapool today. Ullapool Forest Runs on FB. If anyone is ever up that neck of the woods & interested look them up.
3 Aug
6:06pm, 3 Aug 2024
27,949 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Ran Auldcathie District parkrun today at at the start the RD mentioned a point as 'our start, for now". I asked them about that post-run and the course will be changing soon to a "nearly one lap" although the exact course is still to be finalised (but is expected to be a little harder).

This comes with another forty acres of park being released, with new paths. Info on the Winchburgh Developments FB is that the new section will be officially opened on August 31st, and suggests that the parkrun change will coincide with that.

facebook.com

So tarry ye not if you want to set an existing course best, you might have only another three opportunities.
3 Aug
6:20pm, 3 Aug 2024
50,604 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I think they've always said the laps at the moment were only temporary at Auldcathie until the rest of the park development opened up. It's quite a quick course with smooth tarmac all the way round. Nice for a wee paddleboard on the canal after, which is what I did last time too! :-) G
3 Aug
6:42pm, 3 Aug 2024
27,950 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Indeed, although parkrun HQ guidelines are that where possible courses should be multi-lap; and one-courses are to be avoided (and further, that parkrunners like them less, which gets a chinny reckon from me).

volunteer.parkrun.com

(So I hope that their ambassador is fully onboard and further that HQ have been appraised, or it might be next August before their course change is approved ;-) .)
3 Aug
6:56pm, 3 Aug 2024
2,305 posts
  •  
IanS
The Auldcathie park was (allegedly) designed by an architect who is a parkrunner, and the current course was always supposed to be temporary until the development was completed (according to a friend who in on the core team who helped set it up and frequently RDs).
I hadn't seen the parkrun guidance, but multi-lap routes are certainly not my preference, but then when have the parkrun high heid yins ever listened to actual runners...
3 Aug
9:31pm, 3 Aug 2024
19,945 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
This is the pertinent part of the course guidelines:

The landowner may decide that they want event teams to change the course for a particular reason, we should respect their views.

One lap courses are fine if they are safe and can be properly mashaled. Which is probably easier to justify for an established event.
4 Aug
12:07pm, 4 Aug 2024
6,056 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Record attendance at Scottish Parkruns yesterday apparently.
4 Aug
2:21pm, 4 Aug 2024
19,958 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Ally-C wrote:Record attendance at Scottish Parkruns yesterday apparently.
There have been at least a couple this year. Interesting that the summer holidays haven't suppressed numbers as they sometimes do.
4 Aug
4:23pm, 4 Aug 2024
50,609 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Olympics effect? Would be nice to think so? :-) G
4 Aug
6:51pm, 4 Aug 2024
9,175 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Ally-C wrote:Record attendance at Scottish Parkruns yesterday apparently.
. Does this take account of the fact that there are more parkruns than before?

About This Thread

Maintained by 57.5 Degrees of Pain
A place to discuss all things running related in Scotland.