Morning Light: The Fetchland Gardening Wire

1 lurker | 79 watchers
3M
Aug 2023
8:09pm, 6 Aug 2023
21,791 posts
  •  
3M
My big toms are showing no signs of ripening yet, but the cherry sized Pearl and Golden Nugget are producing way more than we can keep up with

Mine too!
And schoolboy error... I've not checked the courgettes for a few days whilst I've been busy and it's been raining. Marrow, anyone?
Aug 2023
8:28pm, 6 Aug 2023
108,191 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I have no courgettes yet as the squirrels destroyed the plants when young. I left them in and I have tentative buds.
Here is hoping the squirrels are distracted by cobnuts and ripping my unripe apples from the trees. But hopefully not all: like they did with my plums 😩 not a single one on 5 trees!
Aug 2023
9:13pm, 6 Aug 2023
4,509 posts
  •  
Curly45
We have loads of courgettes (yellow), but something keeps knocking our tiny tomatoes off the plants (absolutely not ripe yet and they are not eating them). What a bloody waste animals 😂
Aug 2023
11:00am, 7 Aug 2023
37,763 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Had lots of courgettes now and patty Pans. Toms not ripening but it has been rainy for 3 weeks. Cucumbers coming on. Corn nearly there. Carrots and snips good. Only bad bit are the cabbages, ravaged by slugs in all the rain.

Sowing more lettuce, leeks and cabbage today.
Aug 2023
11:08am, 7 Aug 2023
108,237 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Hoping to sow winter lettuces, andijvie and curly kale today.
3M
Aug 2023
11:52am, 7 Aug 2023
21,804 posts
  •  
3M
I'm looking at the space where my onions were, and wondering what the chances are of getting another crop of beetroot in. I've still got plenty of seeds! Plus some cut & come again lettuce - I need to figure out how to stop/substantially reduce the depredations of the slugs on that side of the veg bed first, though! (It's nearer the "wilder" edge of the garden where they can take refuge.)

And back to my vegetable shoot stealing pigeon problem. I know technically it's illegal to destroy birds' nests. But I'm continuing to remove the nest they are trying to create (i.e. it's not completed or in use) in the apple tree adjacent to my vegetables. In a funny sort of way, I'm doing them a favour because it's also next to the garden fence which is basically a cats' highway - and having a nest of ready-meals is surely not a good idea!
Aug 2023
7:33pm, 7 Aug 2023
4,510 posts
  •  
Curly45
Trimmed my raspberries and tied the new growth to the wires today.

Also realised a load of our canes have been sat in water so need to dry out, and our second shed is leaking more than thought. New shed was going to be next year's project but might getting moved up the list 😂
Aug 2023
7:44pm, 7 Aug 2023
17,038 posts
  •  
UltraDunc

I planted this 6 years ago, it was from my late parents back garden and was my mum’s. The main plant I left behind and this growth had looked dead for the past few years without any green leaves . I’ve weeded around it and occasionally added some miracle grow but not for a year or so. I really thought it had died so to see green leaves this year and today a flower is amazing
Aug 2023
7:46pm, 7 Aug 2023
17,039 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
Oh I forgot to add the Christmas Cactus did not come back after the cold snap last December.
Aug 2023
9:30am, 8 Aug 2023
37,773 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Patience pays off.

Leeks, lettuce and cabbages sown yesterday. A bit of pruning, weeding and mowing today....plus a bit of thinking about what to do with the flower beds over the winter for next year, I have some stay self seeded plants to use up including a huge Verbena....

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A wire about gardening.