Maravan cleethorpes 23 and 24 November 2023

11 watchers
Aug 2023
1:56pm, 21 Aug 2023
25,720 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I'm really looking forward to the event.

Is there a time limit for when people can enter, DeeGee? A couple of friends have commented that they might enter when I've told them I'm doing the Sunday race. They are leaving it a while in case they get injured in training when they increase the long run miles (a more common problem as we are ageing...)
Aug 2023
2:07pm, 21 Aug 2023
22,622 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I've got a card reader so people can even enter on the day, but I don't want to shout it too loudly as I'd rather get as much of the entry fee money in as possible before I go to New York, so I know what I've got to spend on supplies when I get back (and that way I'm also not tying my own New York spending money up on Maravan stuff). October would be nice, that's when the bill for the toilets usually comes in.

(Normally I bankroll the early event costs out of my own pocket in the vain hope that I might be able to pay myself back once all the entries are in. The only early upfront costs are medals, and I'm trying to save money there by taking a sustainable route.)
Aug 2023
5:18pm, 21 Aug 2023
25,721 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I’ll let people know to enter by mid-October then, DG
Aug 2023
12:33pm, 25 Aug 2023
22,640 posts
  •  
DeeGee
grimsbytelegraph.co.uk

Venue has changed name.

However, the venue remains the same!
Aug 2023
1:44pm, 25 Aug 2023
2,398 posts
  •  
riggys99
But it’s not at cleethorpes beach. I don’t even think it’s Cleethorpes but Humberstone. The site we are on changed its name the other year to Cleethorpes Pearl.
Aug 2023
1:52pm, 25 Aug 2023
22,641 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Because, apparently, Cleethorpes is well known for oysters.

I thought that was Whitstable, but whatever.

Yes, the park is in Humberston, as is Cleethorpes Pearl (or, as locals older than me call it, Beacholme, or as everyone else calls it, the Beachcomber, which was always really well regarded as a live music venue.)

Everything on that side of the road is Humberston.
Aug 2023
3:10pm, 25 Aug 2023
2,399 posts
  •  
riggys99
It was called Beachcomber when we got the van
Sep 2023
6:39am, 9 Sep 2023
2,447 posts
  •  
riggys99
Hope everyone has enjoyed the warm weather training for a Cleethorpes maravan in November 😁

Hopefully cooler for the coastal half next Sunday 17th September
Nov 2023
10:12am, 22 Nov 2023
2,715 posts
  •  
riggys99
Hello maravaners

Not long to go now. Tapering this week and nursing a bit of a dodgy left leg. Keep checking the weather that has changed forecast a few times but now looks cold but otherwise ok for Sunday perhaps a bit wet on Saturday.

Looking forward to starting on Sunday morning.

Good luck everyone and thanks to DeeGee and the team for organising this brilliant event.
Nov 2023
10:26am, 22 Nov 2023
22,700 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Weather is as good as I can hope for, I think. My biggest fear is that we get an overnight frost, as that little 1km at the start can be a bit of a frost hollow, especially as I'm the designated medic this year (got a brand new swanky Emergency Aid certificate after 2 days of study and 2 days of practical, just for this event!) but it looks like we're fine for that. Dry and cold is fine, we've got the wherewithall to make a brew, and Nisa will be open from 8am and they have a Costa machine.

If anyone's got friends or wellwishers who fancy running a marathon or a half this weekend, I've still got a couple of places, so I'm happy to take entries either on Friday night if you live in North East Lincs and can make it to Brewer's Fayre in Cleethorpes, or on Saturday morning.

About This Thread

Maintained by riggys99
Re started the thread for the 2024 edition of this great event.