•  
folkieboater
YP - Sounds just like my OH 🤣🤣
Jan 2022
10:25am, 18 Jan 2022
14,295 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
Is anyone else enjoying the fun of fox mating season? I haven't noticed it in previous years, but this year they're making a *lot* of noise!
Jan 2022
10:32am, 18 Jan 2022
88 posts
  •  
Old Mum
I don't get wildlife other than starlings and a variety of little birds. I have three dogs, so the wildlife tends to swerve, although one of the spaniels caught a mouse a few weeks ago. Chasing him around the garden to try and extract it from his chops was the most exercise I'd had in months.

I have heard the foxes though. I sleep with my window open, so I hear them from the field across the way. Horny little blighters that they are.
Jan 2022
10:37am, 18 Jan 2022
8,429 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I’m sure there are foxes in the area as we’ve had friends who have lost chickens to them, but I’ve never heard any. Owls seem to be the noisiest nocturnal creatures.
Jan 2022
10:59am, 18 Jan 2022
21,816 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
We normally have the foxes mating very close by and this noisy through Jan/Feb. In fact I used to suspect our back garden was the fox equivalent of a nightclub !!!

So far this year I have only heard them once which was back on boxing day
Jan 2022
11:16am, 18 Jan 2022
695 posts
  •  
Maccathecracker
We are hoping for some fox cubs this year as we get 3 regular visitors and they have been making some strange noises recently.
Jan 2022
12:26pm, 18 Jan 2022
13,566 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
We have had to stop feeding our fox (and birds) due to pesky rats coming in the garden for the food - don't know how else to deal with it but am concerned re the hedgehogs when they come back put. Don't want rats running around
Jan 2022
12:54pm, 18 Jan 2022
21,817 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
My parents got pest control out a few years back as they had seen rats. The guy arrived and saw bird feeders and said there is nothing I can do to get rid of rats if you feed them.

The rat issue was solved by sadly stopping feeding the birds
Jan 2022
1:11am, 20 Jan 2022
3,933 posts
  •  
Wombling Plodder (Welsh Womble)
The foxes frightened the life out of me the other night with their blood curdling screams - OH is away at the moment so my hearing is ultra sensitive. Haven’t they heard of peaceful mating 😂

As for rats, I had to stop feeding my birds when I saw one in the garden. I thought I was being clever with raised feeders until I saw what I first thought was a squirrel climbing up the pole.

I did solve the problem though - by adopting a 60 kilo dog. The birds love her and I haven’t seen a rat since a half eaten one was found in the garden. Not sure if this was Ndog or one of the local cats / foxes.

Ndog chases cats (the only time she moves) but the cats are very clever and know that they can tease her without being caught 😬

And as for the birds - the blackbirds just ignore her and the magpies like to pinch bits off her meaty bone when she is not looking.

However not sure the hedgehogs liked being picked up and brought in doors!!! Fortunately Ndog no longer escapes up the garden after dark so wildlife peace has resumed, which allows the noisy foxes to mate, at least I get to enjoy seeing the Cubs cutting across the garden.

I must get myself a camera.
Feb 2022
8:30am, 4 Feb 2022
21,985 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Bit of excitement right now

My WFH desk is at my lounge window. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a fox in my neighbours garden. Told my wife

Then a fox came from my back garden and stood on my drive and was quickly followed by another and both stood there.

Then just as they set off for me neighbours garden another fox came from my back garden and wandered up my path.

Sadly it all happened to fast to get any photos, but all four looked healthy and while I saw two together it looked like a parent and cub, albeit a cub that was on its way to adulthood

About This Thread

Register sightings and learn more here hedgehogstreet.org