FOOTBALL

161 watchers
Nov 2021
10:21am, 21 Nov 2021
11,166 posts
  •  
Joopsy
My rules Nellers, you make your own mate.

It’s a bit like the ‘you should support your local club debate’

Why should I? There’s an argument to say I’d support Sheffield Wednesday, which sane person would want to do that?
Nov 2021
10:22am, 21 Nov 2021
64,555 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I’ve invested enough time, money and, most importantly, emotional energy is my club over the years that I will always be a true supporter. I’ve supported them through thick and thin, mostly thin. The days when I went to every game and many away games are gone, but I’m still with them in spirit every time they take to the pitch. I used to watch the reserves and the youth team as well as the first team. They are inextricably bound with my memories of childhood, my family, and will always be an intrinsic part of my life.

My love and support of my club is partisan and unconditional. However, I do love all football and will watch any game, and, as long as Palace aren’t
involved, I can be appreciated on any team, even Brighton
Nov 2021
10:38am, 21 Nov 2021
7,345 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I can relate to a lot of the comments.

I had a season ticket at Portman Road during the brief period (two seasons) in the Premiership (and seasons either side) and deliberately went away in Europe becuase I knew in my heart of hearts it wouldn't happen again in my lifetime. Ipswich have punched above their weight and we are probably a Championship team at best.

What makes a fansupporterfollower is all very subjective and does relate to your life circumstances.
Nov 2021
10:41am, 21 Nov 2021
11,167 posts
  •  
Joopsy
There is actually a movement amongst the Twitter ‘fans’ who disparagingly refer to match going United fans as ‘top reds’. It is now apparently a real disgrace to go to matches when the team are shit as you are just showing affirmation for the manager and the players.

It’s worth pointing out that most of these people never set foot in Old Trafford anyway, some are not even United fans but they have made themselves a tidy little income from getting 10,s of 1,000’s of followers from places like Lagos and Beijing.

Therefore Dio, by supporting Palace through the thin, you are clearly a disgrace.
Nov 2021
10:42am, 21 Nov 2021
3,654 posts
  •  
gcwenn
My biggest bug-bare about football fans/supporters is the fact that the ones who do not go to matches are the ones who throw the most shit. For example, I work in Stoke, but have a ST for Norwich. There is a lad from Cardiff (so is Welsh) in the office who claims to "support" Liverpool. (or "the Reds" as he calls them). I have a picture of my two sons on my desk, he has a picture of Klopp on his. He openly admits he has never been to Anfield, but he went to Liverpool for the parade after they won the champions league. When asked why he does not support Cardiff he said "they are shit, they will never win anything". He has the biggest mouth on a Monday morning when Liverpool win, but if they lose he does not talk about football. I had to physical tell him to "just fuck off away from my desk" one day during the week when he was trying to take the piss out my team. Another lad in the office holds a ST for Stoke and when we chat about football he never teases or takes the piss. He also goes to away games, as do I. We can appreciate the effort we both put into watching the matches and if we ever do banter, it is exactly that, banter. I tend to find the people who do not go to matches, yet "support" teams (nearly always the big 6), do not banter, they gloat. And that is what gets under my skin about the "fan/supporter" argument.
Nov 2021
10:42am, 21 Nov 2021
11,168 posts
  •  
Joopsy
I’d also like to think that nobody on here actually takes my comments that seriously.
Nov 2021
10:44am, 21 Nov 2021
7,346 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Great post, gcwenn. Like that.

And to make you chuckle, in my new job I sit next to a Norwich City season ticket. I expect friendly 'banter' on Monday morning. ;-)
Nov 2021
10:46am, 21 Nov 2021
64,558 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I take everything you ever say as gospel, mate, you know that don’t you?
Nov 2021
10:48am, 21 Nov 2021
11,169 posts
  •  
Joopsy
There are plenty of them about GC, but just as many local ones as well. When I first moved to Lincoln I took my kids to the odd game, they had just been relegated to non league and were getting crowds of around 1200 a week. Tehy very nearly went under. My kids hated it so we didn’t go that much, a few years later and the Cowley Bros turn up and the ground needs upgrading because tehy can only fit 9000 in it. It’s people like these that tell me I should be supporting my local club and n out travelling for two hours to see football.
Nov 2021
10:49am, 21 Nov 2021
11,170 posts
  •  
Joopsy
That’s ok Dio, I make allowances for the simple ones.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Ah, the beautiful game, remember that? Let's put down some jumpers and have a socially-distanced kickabout. Long shots only, and no hugging and kissing.