FetchPoint: The Game

1 lurker | 281 watchers
4 Jun
3:44pm, 4 Jun 2024
401 posts
  •  
Bright Strider
I suppose the theoretical limit is the number of Fetchpoint grid points in your circle. However, if there is already an object there, the new object can't land.
I don't know how many grid points there are in a circle.
14 Jun
10:09am, 14 Jun 2024
957 posts
  •  
Funky Chicken
Higgs boson spotted in north London today - another time, I would have got on my bike and grabbed it (bugs are currently rampant in my home zone), but I'm resting ahead of a race so will leave it for someone else.

On the map, it's just south-west of Angel, in the grounds of St Mark's church.
JCB
14 Jun
4:47pm, 14 Jun 2024
5,702 posts
  •  
JCB
Bright Strider wrote:I suppose the theoretical limit is the number of Fetchpoint grid points in your circle. However, if there is already an object there, the new object can't land. I don't know how many grid points there are in a circle.

Found this about circles:

en.m.wikipedia.org

I once was curious about this in the past and counted the number of points across and the number vertically: fetcheveryone.com/blog-share.php?id=443262

Unsatisfactorily I had no idea at the time how to properly calculate the number of grid points based on 31 x 39.

But for circles it's roughly the same as the area. So I am thinking it's the same for an ellipse. Google says area of an ellipse with axes of 15 and 19 (31 x 39) is 895 (see url below)

google.com

I would be interested to hear if other people's circles have the same dimensions or not, or if anyone has actually been able to count all the points.
14 Jun
5:27pm, 14 Jun 2024
402 posts
  •  
Bright Strider
Great work, JCB! The distortion from a circle could correspond to the distortion of the Conquercise squares. Where I live, they look more rectangular than square. Presumably, because latitude is about degrees not distance. Or, is there a better explanation? I am no cartologist or geographer.
JCB
14 Jun
5:45pm, 14 Jun 2024
5,703 posts
  •  
JCB
I tinkered around in a spreadsheet and for axes 15 and 19 there seems to be 865 points inside or on the ellipse.
JCB
14 Jun
5:47pm, 14 Jun 2024
5,704 posts
  •  
JCB
Bright Strider wrote:Great work, JCB! The distortion from a circle could correspond to the distortion of the Conquercise squares. Where I live, they look more rectangular than square. Presumably, because latitude is about degrees not distance. Or, is there a better explanation? I am no cartologist or geographer.

Thanks! Same here. Not sure about the circles becoming elliptical for fetchpoint. It could be similar to Conquercise squares. I may do some research and report the results.
JCB
14 Jun
5:57pm, 14 Jun 2024
5,705 posts
  •  
JCB
When moving the home point it does say it's a circle with one mile radius. I tried Antarctica and Greenland but I can't tell how far away the bugs are in terms of grid points. It does seem that the circle is much bigger. I go to maximum zoom out (only 4 or so steps are allowed this close to a pole) and I can't see all the circle.
JCB
14 Jun
6:01pm, 14 Jun 2024
5,706 posts
  •  
JCB
In Greenland, it was actually only two steps of zooming out allowed. Then part of the circle is visible:
JCB
14 Jun
6:31pm, 14 Jun 2024
5,707 posts
  •  
JCB
There seem to be issues on my mobile on the fetchpoint map. But it's a bit easier to see on the 'plot a route' page with fetchpoint and conquercise turned on (and satellite).

JCB
14 Jun
7:20pm, 14 Jun 2024
5,708 posts
  •  
JCB
JCB wrote:I tinkered around in a spreadsheet and for axes 15 and 19 there seems to be 865 points inside or on the ellipse.

I had made mistakes calculating from an approximate quarter of the ellipse. Using the entire ellipse I found 889 points.

About This Thread

Maintained by Naomi P
Frequently Asked
===========
1) The scoreboard and markers don't 'reset' on the first of the month any more. They work on a rolling 30 day system.
2) You only need to worry about red bugs.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.