Fetch modellers - model cars, trains, lego, meccano, airfix etc. :-)

1 lurker | 16 watchers
May 2023
2:00pm, 31 May 2023
46,777 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That looks great Rich. I like the setting and the painting with the sand.

I had my first crash with my plane this weekend. Was really hoping I'd manage a successful landing. But I tried 3 times and crashed on each. 3rd time I broke the propeller so that was game over for the day. Was good fun though. Harder than I thought.

Having said that, a 15 year old girl and her dad that were there said that she got hers landed after just a few goes. I've done about 20 flights over 4 or 5 sessions and not managed to land yet (only tried for first time this week, but even so).

Crashing and breaking something feels like a bit of a rite of passage though! Lol. And prop replacement is only £8 so not too heart or wallet breaking! I've got some extra batteries and a volt meter too, so can go all day now. Can charge batteries from 12V plug in car which is good.

Some *amazing* acrobatic flying from some of the experienced guys at the field to watch. And two older guys doing some synchronized flying stuff - identical models.

And finally, those two also took theirs up over 1,000ft then cut off their engines and glided (these weren't gliders, quite heavy, petrol engined planes). They stayed up for half an hour, on thermals and rising air, then landed with no engines. Wowsers! :-) G
May 2023
2:08pm, 31 May 2023
22,074 posts
  •  
richmac
Thanks G.

Sounds like you're in some great company, I'm sure you'll be putting it on the floor, without putting it on the floor soon.
Jun 2023
7:37pm, 4 Jun 2023
46,832 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I landed. Yay. Twice. Yay Yay! (4 flights, 2 good landings, and another 2 off runway but no damage.) Making progress. :-) G
Jun 2023
2:50pm, 7 Jun 2023
46,867 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Got a second more advanced transmitter to support instructor/student mode without having to prevail upon someone else with the more advanced transmitter - means I can leave it all connected too, so that it doesn't need any faffing on the day to use. Working well - just hand it over and all good to go. Second hand from eBay. New £230, got it for £120. And it came with £45 worth of rechargeable battery and charger.

I've got telemetry working on my new transmitter. And it was "free"! I like this. Telemetry feeds back from plane to transmitter the motor RPM, temperature, battery voltage, and (I think, can't quite believe it!, altitude and airspeed!)

Going to do a recce of our fields on Friday to see if they are suitable for local flying (when and if I get permission from my wife, that horses won't be alarmed!) :-) G
Jun 2023
9:58am, 8 Jun 2023
46,870 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Once I get this trainer plane going well, I may look to get something a bit fancier! There are some amazing looking models out there. :-) G
Jun 2023
4:07pm, 18 Jun 2023
1,157 posts
  •  
Will Crash
Jun 2023
4:07pm, 18 Jun 2023
1,158 posts
  •  
Will Crash
Jun 2023
4:08pm, 18 Jun 2023
1,159 posts
  •  
Will Crash
B 24 H. WIP, commission build for a museum.
Jun 2023
4:51pm, 18 Jun 2023
22,259 posts
  •  
richmac
Cool
Jun 2023
10:38am, 23 Jun 2023
47,007 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That looks amazing Will. And I like your "workshop". I've just got my work table out again as I need to do a bit of soldering to replace the connectors on the battery and charging cables (car batteries had a different connector type to the plane batteries!)

No pics, but hanging or even sitting my model plane on a table isn't an option with a 1.5m wingspan! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
I can't believe that we've got Crafts, Gardening, Computer Games, but not model cars, trains...!

Just don't call them toys!

My particular hobby was 1/10th scale radio controlled car racing. I'm now looking to get into radio controlled planes. We have some Airfix model builders in here and Lego builders too. Any type of model vehicles really! Planes, trains, automobiles... boats, helicopters, anything! Come join in! :-) G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.